David Byrne is a Robot

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

David Byrne is a Robot

Post by russ »

I read this recently:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/ ... -of-julio/

Pretty cool and weird.

Then tonight I went to see the movie 'WALL-E' after work, and who was sitting behind me?

David Byrne.

I think he's really into robots.
BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by BloodshotBaby »

holy fuck.

if i knew he was sitting directly behind me, i'd probably wet myself.

also: how was wall-e? i can't wait to see it....was too busy this weekend to get to a show that wasn't sold out.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: David Byrne is a Robot

Post by DJMurphy »

russ wrote:Then tonight I went to see the movie 'WALL-E' after work, and who was sitting behind me?

David Byrne.
I don't have that many "I went to the movies and saw CelebrityX there" stories to tell in my neck of the woods. I did see Nina Gordon at a Loud Family concert; she is totally cute in person. Short, too. When Scott Miller started singing "Like A Girl Jesus", she joined in for the first two lines, from where she was in the audience. It was almost-but-not-quite a duet.

I also saw Nash Kato at a show at the Double Door. He's not so cute; tall, gangly motherfucker!! But God, those last two Urge albums are sublime.

Sorry, back to David Byrne and robots. Wall-E = Johnny Five, except in what looks like a thousand-times better movie.
russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

BloodshotBaby wrote:also: how was wall-e? i can't wait to see it....was too busy this weekend to get to a show that wasn't sold out.
WALL-E was amazing!!!
And the closing credits have a pretty decent new Peter Gabriel song.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

yes. wall-e was pretty amazing. it may be the best pixar movie yet.
stickman45
Cocksmith

Re: David Byrne is a Robot

Post by stickman45 »

russ wrote:I read this recently:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/ ... -of-julio/

Pretty cool and weird.

Then tonight I went to see the movie 'WALL-E' after work, and who was sitting behind me?

David Byrne.

I think he's really into robots.

Strangely enough, I have also sat directly in front of David Byrne at the movies. He laughed entirely too loudly in a very ostentatious "hey, i get that joke" sort of way.

We were watching a documentary.

It was disconcerting and annoying.
Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Joshua »

That's crazy. Both the robot and seeing Byrne in a theatre.

Some of you knew my dad and might get a kick out of picturing him, coked out of his mind, I'm sure, having dinner with David Byrne, who, based on my mom's description, was very calm and quiet the whole time (probably couldn't get a word in if he tried)... They were at a trade show (probably NAMM or CES) in the early 80's.

I hit Wanted this weekend instead of WALL-E. Lots of fun - great shots of Chicago (the main character has an apt right on the brown line tracks behind Johnny O'Hagan's on Clark, haha), but no robots, sorry.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

i am dying to see wanted. i couldn't see it this weekend though. how was it?
Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Joshua »

grounded5am wrote:i am dying to see wanted. i couldn't see it this weekend though. how was it?
(In my usual fashion, I had written up a lengthy post regarding acting, editing, my personal biases and the comic that it's ostensibly based on... Sometimes I just need to shut the fuck up - I acknowledge that.)

It was quite good. A lot of fun. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you like action movies.

(There. That wasn't so hard.)
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

i plan to as soon as i can.