The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:15 pm

stickman45 wrote:I would say Edie Brickell is a vice.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

i did say the only durg related vice i have. i wasn't talking about any other types of vices. that could take all day. i know i've got a music vice. big time. sadly though it isn't for the hippie chick brickell these days. i go through phrases with her/them where i listen for a few months then i go for a months not listening to them/her. but otherwise i got a major music vice.

hi, i'm grounded5am and i am a musicholic. but then i think everyone on here is to some extent.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:31 pm

We're very proud of the steps you've made today.

One day at a time, my friend.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Jake wrote:Do it.

If I ever managed to come across some I would...But then I would need a good way to sell it to the SLF, particularly if it required her to do some additional babysitting. Better idea: make it for a time when she and the kids aren't around, which means we're backing in "All My Friends" topics again.

Jake wrote: I guess I don't run in those circles anymore.

Ditto. Even weed can be a logistical nightmare. And as a dude that used to sell weed in college, trouble finding weed is the epitome of adulthood and "selling out."
I do believe that the "network" that was present when Jerry was alive is now broken; I don't think hallucinogens have the geographic reach that they once did. Plus, one of the most renowned manufactures of LSD is in jail, I believe thanks to a fucking rat.

Jake wrote:But still. Once you give up on the possibility of mind expansion, I truly believe your mind starts shrinking.

Absolutely.

Miss Carol wrote:I'm in the midst of planning my birthday party and tonight I set about to build a playlist. Ideas are welcome.

Start with that tune that was number one the week you were born. Segue into track one from three of your favorite albums of all time. Add The Pretenders' "Middle Of The Road." Follow with a T-Rex song, then add AC/DC's "Rock & Roll Damnation." Drink during this entire time and any song that follows will be met with increased tolerance.

Shecky wrote:As a recovering alkie/addict it just wouldn't be smart, though. Sigh...

So weed would gateway you towards other things? Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely intrigued.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Worps, I knew I could count on you, man. Now lets see...

Start with that tune that was number one the week you were born.

In the USA that was Bobby Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe." [downer]
In the UK that was Engelbert Humperdinck's "The Last Waltz" [no fucking way]
In Canada that was the Box Top "The Letter" [much better]

Segue into track one from three of your favorite albums of all time.

Lessee...London Calling , Talking to the Taxman about Poetry (for now), Revolver...no Rubber Soul [fuck this is hard]

Add The Pretenders' "Middle Of The Road." Follow with a T-Rex song, then add AC/DC's "Rock & Roll Damnation." [

checkity check...hellooo Soulseek...

Drink during this entire time and any song that follows will be met with increased tolerance.

And I'll be the perfect hostess...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 am

worpswede wrote:So weed would gateway you towards other things? Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely intrigued.

Well, probably. I could see myself sitting around, baked and thirsty, going "Fuck it, one cold beer can't hurt." Once you're an addict, you pretty much have to avoid recreational, mood-altering substances. Sigh...

On a positive note, I do think you can still expand your mind sans drugs - read subversive books, listen to trippy music, study the postings of Sven, make crazy fucked-up art, etc.

Works for me! [email protected]

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:06 pm

I can relate with all of you. I am turning 35 this year. I am also getting married in two months. I can pretty much see my life changing right before my eyes. I know its a good thing for me, but I still get those cravings for the old younger party life I once had. Those won't ever go away, I'm afraid. But I guess one has to grow up sometime (but not entirely!) I just don't want to be that drunk old man at the end of the bar!

I haven't done acid in about 4 years. It wasn't something I did alot when I was younger (maybe once a year). It usually revolved around a particular event like an end of semester party. I wouldn't want to do it now. I couldn't handle it. Its the coming down part, that I never liked about that drug. Last month I went up to Michigan to my friend's house on the lake and we had one of those all day drinking marathons (starting at Noon with beer and working up to jack daniels at dusk). It took me four days to recover from that. I can't imagine what acid would do to me now!

The last time I did it, it was about 4 years ago when I lived in Atlanta (before that it was a couple years as I stopped doing it entirely). My friends and I were going to see Radiohead in concert. (Weird as I write this, Radiohead just came on KEXP!) I didn't plan on doing it, because I had to work the next day. They talked me into it, and I'm glad they did. I did a half of a hit, and by the time they hit the stage, I was flying. It was one of those rare music/drug experiences you can't put into words.

As the acid wore off at the end of the night, I knew that was it for me. A good way to say good bye to that drug with a classic Radiohead concert. Why even try to top that experience?

Since then, I try to take it a bit more easy on myself, though I have my moments. A weekend here or there where you go out and get a little crazy with your friends is good for your soul. I won't ever give that up. If I'm that drunk old man at the end of the bar, then at least I'll have some company!

(I do hope for the day when we can go to the store and legally by a pack of joints!)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Tim wrote:A weekend here or there where you go out and get a little crazy with your friends is good for your soul. I won't ever give that up.

Exactly. Everything in moderation...including moderation!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Jesus, who knew the demographic was so right-tailed here. Allow this 44-year-old to go back to the thread topic, and say how much I love every song on that freaking album.

Thank you.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 am

Looking down the barrel of 40 myself.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 am

Jake wrote:My dream/fantasy has always been to sit in a lawnchair in my backyard with headphones on, and have Jolie check in on me once every hour or so and bring me water and orange juice and sunscreen all day. Unfortunately, I do not have a backyard (or even a lawnchair) so this ain't happening anytime soon.

You could always start in the living room. After a couple of hours with Owlsley, you would most certainly have that backyard -- looking out upon the Serengeti.

Return to “Rants and Raves”