Richard Wright Beats Roger Waters To Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Richard Wright Beats Roger Waters To Death

Post by DJMurphy »

Inappropriateness of the title aside, Richard Wright, keyboards for Pink Floyd, has died after a struggle with cancer. News here.
WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Post by WalterCracker »

While not a massive Pink Floyd fan that's still pretty upsetting. Something about knowing the whole band can never perform together again I suppose.
Redbeard

Post by Redbeard »

Fuckin' spaceman music. But what the fuck? Any excuse to fire up a fattie.
Here's to the dead spaceman. Ride free or die and keep it SPICY!
Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

As a huge Floyd fan, this makes me really sad. I hadn't even heard that Rick was not well. As I've said before, Wright was the secret weapon that make the Pink Floyd sound what it was. Gilmour's guitar feel and Waters' vision and misanthropy were of course all over the records, too. But without those glorious keyboards and organs from the 'quiet one' it wouldn't have been the same. Rick's backing vocals and songwriting, particularly in the early years, were also a key part of the overall timbre.

I'm consoled a bit by watching the latest Gilmour live DVD, wherein he and Rick appear to be having an absolute blast on 'Echoes'. I shall watch it again tonight. And yes, with Rick (and Syd) now passed, the original lineup(s) can never re-form. That sucks... but at least they left us a legacy of recorded gems.
Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

If ever there was an appropriate time to shut off the lights and crank up 'The Great Gig In The Sky', it is now.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

Wow. As the only person who bought AND enjoyed "Wet Dreams", I am very sad. :(
Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Rikki Lixx »

jonas wrote:Wow. As the only person who bought AND enjoyed "Wet Dreams", I am very sad. :(
I still got that on VHS. I enjoyed it. It's got Seka on it.
L8R
quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut »

One of my favorite "rock" keyboard players of all time. Super sad.

This is one of my favorite rock'n'roll stories (apologies for those who already know it):

Rick was fired from the band during the making of The Wall (he cites creative differences with Waters, the rest say his drug use was out of control). The remaining band members decide to stage The Wall as their most ambitious and expensive live show yet and are so confident that they finance it with their own money. So then they hire Wright as a touring musician and pay him the same as the other 'employees'. The great part is that the show was So expensive that the investors (Waters, Gilmore, Mason) lost a small fortune, but of course still had to pay everyone involved so Wright actually Made money. To which Mr. Wright then said to Mr. Waters (and I'm paraphrasing here), "In your stupid horse face!"
quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut »

This is the full quote from Gilmore, which I thought was very nice (from Wikipedia):

"No one can replace Richard Wright. He was my musical partner and my friend. In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound. I have never played with anyone quite like him. The blend of his and my voices and our musical telepathy reached their first major flowering in 1971 on 'Echoes'. In my view all the greatest PF moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without 'Us and Them' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky', both of which he wrote, what would 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' have been? Without his quiet touch the Album 'Wish You Were Here' would not quite have worked. In our middle years, for many reasons he lost his way for a while, but in the early Nineties, with 'The Division Bell', his vitality, spark and humour returned to him and then the audience reaction to his appearances on my tour in 2006 was hugely uplifting and it's a mark of his modesty that those standing ovations came as a huge surprise to him, (though not to the rest of us). Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously."
stickman45
Cocksmith

Post by stickman45 »

And, "Native Son" is a touchstone of 20th Century American literature.