New-Look Pitchfork

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

New-Look Pitchfork

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Pitchfork's new look is not working for me. They are aiming for a cleaner look with lots of white space to accentuate the multimedia stuff, but it's a cluttered mess with too many mouse-overs and no flow to it. Maybe it's just going to take some getting used to.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:42 pm

No, I'm with you. They actually managed to make the nav more confusing while making the look cleaner. That takes some real, um, something?

Not only that, but that ridiculously unnecessarily huge iPod ad at the top caused the site to take about 3 minutes to load fully. Really, Pitchfork?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm

What's Pitchfork?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 pm

*Wanking motion*

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 am

hebrew hammer wrote:*Wanking motion*

Leave your date night out of this, will ya'?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 pm

New pitchfuck web site? WTF?

I checked it out and all I saw was a massive iPod advertisement. Thanks, but no thanks.

I stopped paying attention to pitchfork several years ago. Too much damn crap crammed onto their page. How many contemptuous, irony drenched reviews can anybody tolerate?

What too many internet media sites forget the first rule of retail, which is that less is more.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Link: http://pitchfork.com/news/34800-welcome ... -new-home/

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:What too many internet media sites forget the first rule of retail, which is that less is more.

I don't know. As print media continues to shrink and dumb down its music coverage (i.e., Blender with its 100-word reviews, etc.), it's kind of nice that the Fork continues to run long-form album reviews. I mean, it's closer in spirit to Rolling Stone in the 70s than Rolling Stone has been in the past 30 years.

I don't actually read their reviews, but I appreciate what they're doing.

I follow their news, and occasionally check out one of their interviews, or videos, or whatever.

I think the "partnership" with Lala for streaming audio is interesting... I assume they have a deal worked out with the labels for that, but it's interesting...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Jake wrote:I don't know. As print media continues to shrink and dumb down its music coverage (i.e., Blender with its 100-word reviews, etc.), it's kind of nice that the Fork continues to run long-form album reviews. I mean, it's closer in spirit to Rolling Stone in the 70s than Rolling Stone has been in the past 30 years.

I don't actually read their reviews, but I appreciate what they're doing.

I follow their news, and occasionally check out one of their interviews, or videos, or whatever.

I think the "partnership" with Lala for streaming audio is interesting... I assume they have a deal worked out with the labels for that, but it's interesting...

The problem is that pitchfork is a website, not a 1970s indie mag.

I get what you're saying, though. I've thought about this a lot in regards to the NY Times. I love the actual physical newspaper. But I don't/won't bother reading it. The sunday edition is 5 bucks (and I'm too cheap) and I don't have a long contemplative span of time on weekdays to bother with their daily edition, as much as I'd love to.

I like their online edition, but I'm often frustrated by the amount of crap they pack into it. Especially if I access it from my iPhone. Their videos load too slow, and I have a hard time searching for stuff once it falls off their main pages.

I for one don't want to see contemplative, well reasoned music criticism swept away. For my part, half of what turns me off to pitchfork is the tone of their reviews. Perhaps I'm a little out of the know. I've ignored their site for some time now.

The other half of what turns me off might be fixed with a good redesign, starting with an abandonment of the giant billboard across the top of their page. Ugh.

Beyond that, i don't have all the answers. More and more I'm more appreciative of sites like BoingBoing which actually have plenty of content, but keep their presentation simple.

Like everything on the internet, I'll know what I like when I see it.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Interesting that there seems to be a lot of sentiment for--but little interest in--longer form journalism. Too bad good memories don't sell ads.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Interesting that there seems to be a lot of sentiment for--but little interest in--longer form journalism. Too bad good memories don't sell ads.

I think the popularity/success of Pitchfork proves that there is plenty of interest in longer form music reviews. I don't have any numbers to support this, but I'm guessing more people read the Fork's reviews than Blender's. I don't personally read either, but I don't think that I'm representative of the wider market -- especially in regards to music fans on the internet...

Return to “Rants and Raves”