Songs my kid loves

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Songs my kid loves

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm trying to keep track of the songs my kid has gotten obsessed over.

- Grandaddy - "Nature Anthem" (Sept 2008)
- MGMT - "Time to Pretend" (had to stop playing it around the time he turned two and started repeating lyrics -- need to find a radio edit)
- Parliament - "Give Up the Funk"
- Kraftwerk - "Trans Europe Express" (May 2009)
- Elvis Presley - "Mystery Train"
- Conor Oberst - "Cabbage Town" / "10 Women" / "Nikorette" (July 2009)
- Wilco - "I'll Fight" (August 2009)

He also likes a lot of kids music, of course, including tons of Elizabeth Mitchell, Frances England, Ralph's World, Pete Seeger, Sam Hinton, et al.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Serafina refuses to listen to any band without a female singer. So she has recently been introduced to Indigo Girls, Loretta Lynn, Lucinda Williams, Grace Potter, Emmylou Harris, etc.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 pm

sab wrote:Serafina refuses to listen to any band without a female singer.

Princess Feminista. Badass.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:35 pm

We've got all the kids' music too of course, but my 2 1/2 year old is nuts over:

James Taylor - "Sweet Baby James"
Beatles - "Yellow Submarine", "I'm Only Sleeping", "Here Comes the Sun"
REM - "I Am Superman"
Little Richard - "Long Tall Sally"
Weezer - "My Name is Jonas"
The Decemberists - "Sons & Daughters"

That last one is by far and away his favorite song in the world. It's the damnedest thing. The Crane Wife came out around the time he was born, and I'm not really that into it, but I think because "Sons & Daughters" is a good pace for rocking (as in "rocking a baby", not "rocking with your cock out") and it's a round it became a song that I used to sing to him a lot when putting him to sleep. I don't dislike it, but I certainly wouldn't list it as one of my favorite songs of all time. And now, through no fault of my own, my kid wants to hear a song about the civil war all the time. He's going to get beaten up because he's the only kid on the playground using the word "dirigible" in sentences.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:35 pm

My daughter-a little over 2 now-is obsessing over "Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now" from Hairspray and "Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways. It sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure about the "rock you 'til you're sore" line.
The boy-who's 6-has a thing for Miranda Cosgrove. I don't understand it either. He did seem to take a liking to "Freaks Come Out At Night" by Whodini.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Hmm, despite my better efforts, my son has somewhat white-bread tastes. He does like some of the cooler kids' music, like Dan Zanes and Ralph's World (who we're going to see in concert this Saturday, at Ravinia). But where my little dude will surprise me is that apropos of nothing, he'll bust out into a chorus of "Go Cubs Go" by Steve Goodman, or "We Will Rock You". The first one, I definitely played for him a few times, but the Queen song, he just picked up somewhere and ran with. Hey, it's a start.

My little chick is too young at almost-two to start making requests or expressing preferences.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 pm

My daughter (just shy of 3 yrs) is obsessed with Neko Case, especially Fox Confessor. I played a DVD of Neko performing on ACL and that pretty much sealed the deal. Creepy love songs and murder ballads probably aren't that kid friendly, but it's less harmful that a steady diet of Raffi (which she also likes).

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 pm

We've also been enjoying seasons 1-3 of the Muppet Show on DVD. It's cute to hear her express appreciation for the likes of Roger Miller and Petula Clark. The puppets are timeless, but the artists are a 70's time capsule.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm

We like to change the lyrics on the lamer "kids music" songs to incorporate the words "toilet" and "poop" as much as the rhythm allows. It never stops being hilarious to both of us. Mama, on the other hand, thinks it's stupid. We know better though.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Jake wrote:We like to change the lyrics on the lamer "kids music" songs to incorporate the words "toilet" and "poop" as much as the rhythm allows. It never stops being hilarious to both of us. Mama, on the other hand, thinks it's stupid. We know better though.
Crazy. I do the same thing but with the words "poop," "fart," and "pee." We do that to television theme songs as well. For example, The Wonderpets
"Wonderpets!
Wonderpets!
We're on our way
To cut a stinky fart and save the day
We're not too big
And we're not too tough
But when we all poop together
We've got the right stuff!"

Return to “Rants and Raves”