The GloNo Lost And Found

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

The GloNo Lost And Found

Postby worpswede » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Here's the thread where you post any record, cassettes, cds, or dvds that you've lost over the years. They could be items that you know you've lost, suddenly came up missing, or items that have been blatantly stolen by someone. If you do suspect theft, it may be therapeutic to identify the individual (within reason) who you though took it and verbally abuse them on this forum.
It could be that Huey Lewis tape from the 7th grade or that import Radiohead single that your ex made off with a few years back; list your MIA music here.

ITEM: Flipper-Sex Bomb Baby
DESCRIPTION: Infinite Zero Archive disc from 1995. Features "Sex Bomb," "Ha Ha Ha," (a personal favorite) and "Get Away." A complilation of (then) out of print Flipper material.
LAST SEEN: Early 2003, I guess. I recently went to synch disc to my iPod when I noticed there was no disc in the jewel box.
POSSIBLE SUSPECTS: N/A. No Flipper fans have been near my collection. Anyone looking to steal it would probably want the jewel box and inserts.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:18 pm

ITEM: Nick Drake box set.
DESCRIPTION: This box contained all three studio albums and the odds and ends collection "Time of No Reply." I have never come across another copy since I received this one as a Christmas gift.
POSSIBLE SUSPECTS: I'm almost certain I loaned this out to a co-worker who held on to it for quite a while and was then laid off. I don't blame that person. I think we both forgot until I went to add Nick Drake to my iPod. I have not been in touch with my friend for some time, but will ask about the set when we talk.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:46 am

ITEM: Camper Van Beethoven LP - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart
DESCRIPTION: See above
POSSIBLE SUSPECTS: Everyone at the party-approx. 25 people.

Oh, I will track it down...

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Canadian Pressing 7” of REM’s Gardening At Night (autographed by Peter Buck!)

Saw REM at Ann Arbor’s Michigan Theater in the mid to late 80’s.
Just before the show my buddies and I were next door at School Kid’s Records. My friend says “Hey, that’s Peter Buck!” So I quickly found something to buy and get autographed. Caught Pete standing outside, and I said “Mr Buck, would you sign my record?” He said “sure,” so I started fumbling with the loose/crinkly shrink-wrap. Guess I took too long, so Pete sticks his hand out and say’s “here!” I handed the record to him, and he whipped out, wait for it… a BUCK knife! He sliced it open, signed it, and handed it to me like it was Mean Joe Green’s towel.
So cool. I don’t know what happened to that record, but I suspect it got shoved inside an LP jacket, which I probably sold back to School Kids for $1.00 a few years later. Oh well, I still have the story.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:15 am

Pertinent topic. I recently did the break up/move out thing, so I'm still realizing how many CD's I left behind. It's even better when you pull a case off the shelf only to find it empty. It's not like she made off with anything too irreplaceable, but still...

Then there's the "friends" who "borrow" something only to never bring it back. That's gotten to the point now where someone wants to borrow something and I just say "I'll burn it for you."

And my hundreds and hundreds of cassettes that I amassed in high school, I honestly have no idea where they are. I know I sold some of them, but then there are others where I would had to have been high to have let go, eg David Bowie's Black Tie White Noise which I believe is still out of print and I haven't been able to replace.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:26 pm

steve-o wrote: then there are others where I would had to have been high to have let go, eg David Bowie's Black Tie White Noise which I believe is still out of print and I haven't been able to replace.

Wow. I thought I was the only dude in the world to like that album. Awesome.
Fess up if you've ever "forgotten" to return a record to a friend or blatantly lifted something after a bitter break-up just to sock it to the ex.
I can tell you this: that copy of Dark Side of the Moon sitting in my rack for over 25 years didn't originate from my collection.
Fuck her.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 am

worpswede wrote:Wow. I thought I was the only dude in the world to like that album. Awesome.
Fess up if you've ever "forgotten" to return a record to a friend or blatantly lifted something after a bitter break-up just to sock it to the ex.

I don't know about you guys, but my exes, while some had perfectly respectable collections, never had any music worth stealing or that I didn't already have.

I got that Bowie record for the cover of Morrissey's "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday." With that gospel choir? He just kills it.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:45 pm

ITEM: Return of the Frog Queen, Jeremy Enigk
DESCRIPTION: CD
POSSIBLE SUSPECTS: none at first (see below)

A couple months ago my friends & I, who get together every week, all emailed each other to "grab any albums you know do not belong to you and bring them to [my] house." Due to the usual: you're drinking, throwing the albums on, friends drunkenly enthusing, you lending CDs out with the cavalier generosity that booze so often imparts...like your brain cells that night, they disappear.

Anyway, turned into a very productive evening. Big stacks of CDs thought lost for years, returned to their rightful owners. Only, one friend misread the email and just brought a bunch of stuff "he thought we should listen to."

Well, a week later after this productive exercise, I had re-bought Jeremy Enigk's Return of the Frog Queen which I had literally "lost" in 1997 or so. These guys hadn't heard it, so I played the new copy for them that night.

Guess what Mr. Misundertood fucking brings back the following week? two weeks late. Now I've got two! That's almost worse than losing it!!

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:51 am

Who has my copy of KLF - Chill Out on CD? It's been missing for years.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 am

I'm missing my Ruts "Peel Sessions" cd. It was stolen out of my car along with 70 or 80 other cds. I miss them all, but that was the most expensive ($25) and hardest to replace. It's been 7 or 8 years now and I haven't come across another one.

Return to “Rants and Raves”