You know who's pretty hard to actually listen to?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

You know who's pretty hard to actually listen to?

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Mojo Nixon.

"The Polka Polka"? Really? Come on.

What is the essential Mojo? Because I've downloaded three whole albums and I'm feeling like the dude was the ultimate college radio singles band. I think I only need about five songs. Can anybody convince me otherwise?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:03 pm

No. A little Mojo Nixon goes a long way, but it's nice to have some of his songs on Shuffle.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: You know who's pretty hard to actually listen to?

Postby miss carol » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Jake wrote:Mojo Nixon.

What is the essential Mojo? Because I've downloaded three whole albums and I'm feeling like the dude was the ultimate college radio singles band. I think I only need about five songs. Can anybody convince me otherwise?

Yep. Nailed on the head, Jake.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: You know who's pretty hard to actually listen to?

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:19 am

Jake wrote:Mojo Nixon.

I dunno. I did the same thing: downloaded several albums, wading through a lot of of filler. Found a few good ones, but it's going to take time to come up with a 'best of' for Mojo.

Still, it was smart and cool of Mojo to release his catalog for free. We prolly wouldn't even be talking about him now if he hadn't.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 am

Hmm, how to defend Mojo... he is hit and miss, but here's a short list of some of his cooler songs:

"Elvis Is Everywhere" (from Bo-Day-Shus)
"Bring Me The Head Of David Geffen" (from Gadzooks!)
"Take Me To Your Leader" (from Gadzooks!)
"The Poontango" (from Gadzooks!)
(Hell, download the whole Gadzooks! album; it's fun, and for now, it's free)
"Richard Petty" (this one is really a simple tune, but it's fun) (from Gadzooks!)
"Tie My Pecker To My Leg" (from Whereabouts Unknown)
"I'm Living With A Three-Foot Antichrist" (from Frenzy)
his cover of "Girlfriend In A Coma" (from Whereabouts Unknown)
"Stuffin' Martha's Muffin" (from Frenzy)
"Where The Hell's My Money?" (from Frenzy)

If you don't mind Richard Pryor humor, these cuts are fun. But yes, Mojo works best in small doses.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:06 pm

I can take one Mojo/Skid song: "Burn Down The Malls."
I saw him live in the 80's and he put on a great show. At one point, he jumped up on a table, knocked over the people's beer, and continued to belt out one of his completely interchangeable songs.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Jake wrote:I think I only need about five songs. Can anybody convince me otherwise?

worpswede wrote:completely interchangeable songs.

no, and yes. but still fun to run across.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:01 pm

C'mon, Jake, The Poontango is a classic.

Actually, I agree with you, I think Mojo Nixon is a retard. I do recall thinking he was a genius in college, but then again, I was a retard then myself. And wasted most of the time.

Although I downloaded his entire catalog on the free Amazon deal, I imagine it won't be long before I erase it in one stroke of the delete key.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:58 pm

sab wrote:Actually, I agree with you, I think Mojo Nixon is a retard. I do recall thinking he was a genius in college, but then again, I was a retard then myself. And wasted most of the time.

"Retard" is a little harsh, but I think when I look at Mojo's catalog, it's probably through the rosy lenses of nostalgia. It's probably fair to say it was another time, another place, and that back then for me, liking Mojo made perfect sense. But yeah, the me of today doesn't break out the Mojo CDs the way I used to. Back then, I used to think Robin Williams was a genius, too... that opinion changed. Life moves on, so did I.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 am

If you guys can't get joy at this juncture in history from the song "I Hate Banks," I just don't know what to say.

Return to “Rants and Raves”