Songs my kid loves

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Jake wrote:The latest is "Moab" by Conor Oberst. He loves to shout the "NOTHIN' the road cannot HEAL" chorus. I attempted to get him on video, but of course he won't do it right once the camera comes out.

Is that fireplace wood, propane or natural gas? Do you use it? If so do you buy the wood or cut it yourself? Old school sources of heating are a big issue now with a planet that seems to be going through a cooling phase. I've got two propane heaters--one vented one non-vented. My electric heat has been pretty economical. But I've got a new propane guy coming monday. Apparently propane falls under the "green category" for some reason so it may not be over taxed. $2.10 a gallon right now. It was a freakin buck a gallon when I moved here 6 years ago. That was a cream dream. I actually bought a pellet stove from Lowes last year. They told me "just call a chimney sweep and he'll install it for ya." Bullshit. The fire liabilities are too much. It was a real battle to get Lowes to take it back. If ya don't know someone who can put in a pellet stove for ya don't buy it from Lowes or Home Depot. Pay the extra at a specialty store to have it installed. I'm interested to know how other GloNo midwesterners are dealing with global cooling. On the outskirts of Stankonia last night we had the biggest snowfall in 100 years. Anybody going wood, pellets, coal, propane?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Natural gas, and we've only been in this apartment since March so we haven't cranked it on yet.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:29 am

yeah I didn't mean it to spark the tired global warming debate. It was actually a hippie thing. The pellets are actually recycled sawdust and at 5 bucks for a huge bag they're supposed to be pretty economical. The only thing with fireplaces and stoves is that they can really bake--so you have to keep the kids and pets at a distance.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Friend of mine in northern Michigan burns the pellets and cherry seeds. Smells good.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:04 pm

The Beatles "She Loves You" saved our sanity last weekend on the way home for Grandma's house. Even the German version.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Jake wrote:Friend of mine in northern Michigan burns the pellets and cherry seeds. Smells good.

This doesn't smell quite as good but my relatives in Sweden say it works like a charm...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_sweden_burning?m

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Jake wrote:The latest is "Moab" by Conor Oberst. He loves to shout the "NOTHIN' the road cannot HEAL" chorus. I attempted to get him on video, but of course he won't do it right once the camera comes out.

Cute! Nice Beatle cut.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:26 am

My kid just discovered the greatness of "Charlie Brown" and "Yakkety Yak" by the Coasters. I'm really hoping it doesn't turn him into a juvenile delinquent.

He also now loves "See You Later, Alligator" by Bill Haley and the Comets, which is fun. So weird that Haley ever appealed to teenagers. Weird old greasy fat dude. The 50s were a lot weirder than people seem to remember.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 pm

When I picked up my 7-year-old daughter at gymnastics tonight, she said, "Papa, can I listen to Girl Talk, the first song? Pleeeeeease?" Which was fine, because I was going to listen to it anyway, though at low volume....but it was a funny and unexpected request.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:30 am

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gAjjKSpaYDM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

Return to “Rants and Raves”