Anybody using a Server at home?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I found one guy who's using a Mac Mini as a server, but he claims that he's not doing much of any file sharing with his other machines. Which sounds like it misses the point of having a server.

Not really. Ideally, your server would hold all of your content and your "client" machines would just be able to stream the content from the server. Syncing an iPhone/iPod requires copying files so I can see that you'd need to hook that up to the "server" box (at least until Apple supports wireless syncing). But it definitely seems like you oughtta be able to store your files (movies, songs, etc.) on one box in your network and access them from all of the others. Is that what you're trying to do? Can't you just use iTunes' standard "Home Sharing" feature?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 am

Jake wrote:Not really. Ideally, your server would hold all of your content and your "client" machines would just be able to stream the content from the server. Syncing an iPhone/iPod requires copying files so I can see that you'd need to hook that up to the "server" box (at least until Apple supports wireless syncing). But it definitely seems like you oughtta be able to store your files (movies, songs, etc.) on one box in your network and access them from all of the others. Is that what you're trying to do? Can't you just use iTunes' standard "Home Sharing" feature?

I think you're right, Jake. But I may just drive out to the Apple store and ask a Genius.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:37 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:You would think that in 2010 you could buy all this hardware crap and it would all just work together. Buy a movie or music and watch it on whatever machine you own.

But that's not the future. The internet died years ago. And what has replaced it is a DRM nightmare bookended by a few companies who want to create closed systems which you pay over and over again to use and within which you really don't own anything.

No shit. And of course, they're all purposely incompatible with each other so you cant mix Sony, Apple and Microsoft.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm getting very close to buying a Western Digital live hub media center.

Since almost all my files on my hard drives/phones/ipods are media (photos, video, music) this looks like it'll do the trick. It looks like it's built to run iTunes as well. And it comes with a 1-2 TB hard drive.

I haven't found anybody, though, that's used one. But it's only $199. 20% of the price of a mac mini with duel hard drives.

Return to “Rants and Raves”