To hell with Pomplamoose & Hyundai too

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

To hell with Pomplamoose & Hyundai too

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:43 am

From Seattle Weekly via Jim DeRogatis

But now that Pomplamoose has produced a series of Christmas commercials for Hyundai, my opinions of all these entities have been forever altered.

If you haven't seen the ads, you don't watch television. They're that ubiquitous. They feature Pomplamoose covers of three carols: "Up on the Housetop," "Jingle Bells," and "Deck the Halls." The commercials are effectively videos of these covers, and they have served to cement lead singer Nataly (note the ultra-precious spelling of "Natalie," as well as the ultra-precious bandname) Dawn's status as the most annoying woman on earth.

In the videos, Dawn smirks as she's shown in a variety of cozy sweaters and scarves, singing the carols in generic-Grey's Anatomy-chick-voice, a vocal style that probably needs no further explanation than that. After you hear it five times (this will happen within the first half-hour of watching pretty much any program on television), you're ambivalent. Ten times, you're annoyed. Fifteen times, Dawn's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Twenty times and it's like fire ants gnawing at your crotch. Twenty-five times and you'll want to go all Elvis and shoot the TV. Thirty times and you'll want to drive your car into the nearest Hyundai. Thirty-five times and you'll want to drive an out-of-control Army tank over every new vehicle in a Hyundai lot. Forty times and you'll want Dawn to contract a case of terminal laryngitis. Forty-five times and you'll want to amputate every last one of Santa's reindeer. Fifty times and you'll wish Jesus announced it was time to stop celebrating his birthday.

I have to agree. The Pomplamoose commercial made me throw up in my mouth the first time I saw it. A dozen times later and I want to kill something.

It's bad enough having to listen to Vampire Weekend and other such bands in Honda commercials. All that does is wreak a song for me. But to see and hear all that Twee wrapped around a crummy Korean car is just too much.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 pm

The TV hasn't been on for weeks, other than to watch DVDs. I have no idea what a Pamplamoose is.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 am

jonas wrote:The TV hasn't been on for weeks, other than to watch DVDs. I have no idea what a Pamplamoose is.

I believe the pamplamoose is what the Iroquois called their coup sticks.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:31 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
I believe the pamplamoose is what the Iroquois called their coup sticks.

I don't know what coup sticks are. I could do this all day!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:19 pm

I swear by all that is good and holy I hate those fucking commercials. I vote for cramming both of those smug fuckers into a capsule and shooting it into the sun. Do it for America, people.

On a related note, I find myself becoming more and more annoyed with the use of cutesy, usually Feist-ish female-led (cue overexgaerrated air quotes) "indie rock" songs in commercials in general. And finding myself hating bands just because they sound like they have hipster beards. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age, but seriously, it's to the point where I wish they would start using Buzzcocks songs in Toyota commercials again.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 pm

steve-o wrote:I swear by all that is good and holy I hate those fucking commercials. I vote for cramming both of those smug fuckers into a capsule and shooting it into the sun. Do it for America, people.

On a related note, I find myself becoming more and more annoyed with the use of cutesy, usually Feist-ish female-led (cue overexgaerrated air quotes) "indie rock" songs in commercials in general. And finding myself hating bands just because they sound like they have hipster beards. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age, but seriously, it's to the point where I wish they would start using Buzzcocks songs in Toyota commercials again.

Word! I'd rather hear "Lust for Life" in a cruise ship commercial than all this twee bullshit.

I liken these times to the early to mid 60s, when the charts were dominated by shit like the early Beach Boys & Pat Boon. Even the all american pop acts wrote some well structured songs. But how long can person drink from near bear tap before lose their shit?

All these twee bands need a god damn fucking rock n roll enema.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:23 am

steve-o wrote:.... And finding myself hating bands just because they sound like they have hipster beards....

Now, that's just crazy talk. Jesus had a hipster beard!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:All these twee bands need a god damn fucking rock n roll enema.

Well put, my dear! Let this be our collective resolution for 2011!

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Geez, what's with all the hate? Come on, Ben Folds likes 'em, they can't be all bad...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6G5JaicYuVU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6G5JaicYuVU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 pm

You guys just need something to complain about and then bash. That Nataly is in fact pretty cute, and her voice and/or singing style that you're assailing and her face and mouth delivering it are fairly adorable. This, of course, in large part is why the videos have become so popular; your displeasure certainly is in the minority. I'm sure Hyundai is going to regret having to stop the commercials when they become appropriate beyond the holidays.

Return to “Rants and Raves”