ticket prices topping out?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Relax, I'm joking.

Now to actually contribute something productive to this conversation, I just stumbled on this article, which I thought was appropriate. Apparently, people aren't as willing to pay top dollar as they used to be:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204204004576049972873921068.html?mod=wsj_share_twitter

And reinforcing a point you made earlier, the article notes that the average age of the top 50 grossing touring acts in 2009 was 46, and that number would have been higher had the Stones been on tour. I'd also be interested to see what the average of the ticket buyer is going to be (since there's no way fifteen year olds are getting their parents to buy them $200 Who tickets). This beggars the question: in another twenty years, are people going to be willing to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a fossilized Kid Rock pantomine-hump his way across the stage? I seriously doubt it.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:58 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
That's precisely my point. I think it's odd to complain about ticket prices and yet still pay top dollar. As long as people (you, me, whomever) pay the top price it will climb higher. I simply cannot fathom paying $250 per ticket to see anyone, especially in a stadium setting.

I know that my $50 limit is very low compared to what most people will pay but I like good old fashioned rock in roll in bars and clubs and I have never had to pay $50 to see that. As such, I rarely if ever complain about the cost of concerts today. It's not my world, I don't participate.

Mikey moved to LA. We see her once a year. She's a grad student with very little extra cash. We wanted to give her something that we know she couldn't get for herself.

What's weird is that she usually digs shit like The Mountain Goats, Sufjan Stevens and shit like that. But she's gay and GaGa is big with the gays so maybe that has something to do with it.

personally, I'm with you on the $50. It's partly why I don't go to shows anymore. That and the fact that there are no concerts to even fucking go to.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:We wanted to give her something that we know she couldn't get for herself.

Thoughtful gift. But do accept responsability for being the reason ticket prices are so high? Because people are willing to pay that much for them.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:54 pm

accept responsability for being the reason ticket prices are so high? Because people are willing to pay that much for them.[/quote]

Ok Ok. It's my fucking fault. But I claim only partial responsibility. My old lady made me do it. I said no twice but it escalated and I gave in.

Return to “Rants and Raves”