Am I Getting Old?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Also, the unique thing about Kanye is the blatant self-loathing and introspection in his lyrics. Combined, of course, with the narcissism and braggadocio. It's fascinating and complex and just plain cool. Kanye is an interesting cat. Worth listening to, and by "listening," I mean listening.

And music-wise, what other rapper would put f-ing Bon Iver all of his album?

Kanye is weird. In the best possible way.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:58 pm

russ wrote:To go off subject here for a minute, the only thing that annoys me about many of the bands and performers that have come about in the age of Mtv-Video-Short Attention Span-type of entertainment is that the visuals seem to be more important than the MUSIC.
Look at alot of the artists that are the biggest names in music these days.
If you took away the videos (and 24 hour cable tv for that matter) and radio was the only way to hear new music, alot of the hit music of today would NOT make it.

ok. Bring on the opposing views.

HA HA HA. It's funny to read a post that mentions MTV and videos. That's like, weird. The Jersey Shore channel doesn't play no videos. I ain't seen no videos on the MTV since Bill Clinton banged that fat chick. Nobody watches videos anymore, cept for the YouTooob.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 pm

Jake wrote:Also, the unique thing about Kanye is the blatant self-loathing and introspection in his lyrics. Combined, of course, with the narcissism and braggadocio. It's fascinating and complex and just plain cool. Kanye is an interesting cat. Worth listening to, and by "listening," I mean listening.

Fair enough. One problem I have these days is finding the time to actually listen to music in a concentrated way, particularly with the kids around, and I'm evidently not giving Kanye the time he deserves.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:36 pm

This thread has prompted me to break down and listen to Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" that I snagged from a friend's collection over a year ago and hadn't listened to. One and a half spins in and I'm really liking it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 am

creepy wrote:This thread has prompted me to break down and listen to Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" that I snagged from a friend's collection over a year ago and hadn't listened to. One and a half spins in and I'm really liking it.

I hated it when it came out. Couldn't stand the dude's vocie. But every time it comes up on Shuffle I'm like, This is pretty nice.

I haven't heard Blood Bank, but you can hear the song "Lost in the World" samples via Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=bon+iver+woods

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 am

jonas wrote:I mean really, is the newest Kanye West really all that fantastic?

No. But the new Lil' Wayne is pretty impressive.

To expand on the above "no", I mean, am I missing something? "The College Dropout" was a quality album. It seems like since then, he's just gotten lazy though. Lazy rhymes, lazy production...as a (former) fan I tried, believe me. I'm just not getting it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”