Do any of you real musicians play Rock Band...?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Do any of you real musicians play Rock Band...?

Postby jonas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

...or whatever that other simulator game is. I've been vaguely tempted to buy it because I thought my kids would enjoy the drumming part, but it seems like a lot of money for pretending to play an instrument. On the other hand, reading today that London Calling would be on it added a significant nugget of temptation. And maybe if I just thought of it as any other video game, one that's unrelated to actual musicianship, I wouldn't be hung up on the notion that it seems a bit fake.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm no musician (just a fan), but I love playing Rock Band and here's why: from a big fan's perspective it allows you to hear/notice parts you might not have tuned into before. I'll be playing Beatles Rock Band, and I'll notice cool little Paul things when I'm playing bass (even on Medium: you're still paying close attention to your part).

As for the validity or fakeness or whatever, nerds who don't care about music refer to these as "rhythm" games. Which is essentially correct. You need to hit the right buttons at the right time. And rhythm is an important, authentic musical skill, right?

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:52 pm

huge fan. I like rock'n'roll, and I like video games. I also like food, beer, and shaving biblical passages into my chest hair, but that's not what this thread is about. Yet. But I think those "rhythm games", RockBand in particular, are super fun if you treat them as such. The guitar and bass definitely aren't like actually playing a real guitar and bass, and if you get hung up on that then you won't like it. BUT if you turn it up really goddamn loud you definitely feel like you're playing something, particularly because when you mess up the part drops out and the crowd boos and you feel like a tool. Having said that I almost never play guitar or bass on it because the for me the drums are where it's at. They come much closer to actually being the real thing, and if you go "Expert" (or "Pro" in the new game) you pretty much are playing the actual drum parts. I get tired, I get sweaty, I drink beer while playing, I don't get laid afterwards... it's a lot like a real show. And that's just playing by yourself; it goes without saying that it's much more fun to play with other people.

I'm with Jake too in that part of the appeal as a music nerd is hearing parts isolated that you might not have otherwise noticed before, and also being forced to play songs that you might have thought you would hate playing and finding out they're actually totally fun ("Wanted Dead or Alive" is really, really fun on drums). I know a lot of haters (many of whom are friends that don't like video games in the first place), but I think there's a lot of good things musically about it, and it gives me an excuse to hit drums really hard in the comfort of my own home.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:39 pm

"Wanted Dead Or Alive" is -- oddly -- one of the best songs on Rock Band. EVERYONE wants to play it at parties.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:Having said that I almost never play guitar or bass on it because the for me the drums are where it's at.... I get tired, I get sweaty, I drink beer while playing, I don't get laid afterwards... it's a lot like a real show.

Drummer, huh?

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm

miss carol wrote:Drummer, huh?

wannabe. Actually I'm a bass player. In my next life I'm coming back as a drummer though. Or one of those huge sea turtles that just swims around in the cool parts of the ocean and other fish leave alone because they're so old and wise and have the best jokes. One or the other: drummer or sea turtle. I'll let you know what happens.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:38 am

quasarwutwut wrote:Actually I'm a bass player.

"The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast. Aren't you glad that you're not one?"

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Nope

Postby R. Burton » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't get it at all! My brothers play it, and during the holidays we did the Beatles rock Band thing together. They thought I'd dig it 'cause I such a fan, but the constant click click/tap tap drives me nuts! I feel completely stupid whacking at that "drumkit," pushing those buttons, and I especially hate that stupid whammy bar thing. (also, I completely sucked at it!)
I didn't mind doing the singing, 'cause that's a real thing that almost matters in a weird way, but as for the rest of it, I'd rather play the bongos.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:32 pm

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 pm

You have no idea how much I hope and pray that "Sousaphone Hero" is a real thing!

Return to “Rants and Raves”