Moore vs Albini

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Moore vs Albini

Postby miss carol » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm sure there's a clever thread about this somewhere in the GloNo archives, but my procrastination time is limited. And so I bring you the latest in indie cage matches. Apparently, Thurston Moore and Steve Albini have been bitching at each other for a while. In today's installment, Moore fires a sartorial shot across the bow via Exclaim, insulting his adversary's pants. Presumably Albini doesn't wear Marc Jacobs.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 am

I'm not sure about the most recent spat, but I googled and finally found the infamous Forced Exposure article where Albini called Surfer Rosa "A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who a their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock."

http://michaeldempster.com/post/1256694678

Read it, it's a fun read!! Albini at his surly best. I think one of my fave lines in here was this:
The well-plugged guitar player (noted above) tipped me to a bit of Boston gossip. It seems that Suzy Rust has been getting some social mileage out of a rumor that she and I are well-acquainted with the contours of each other’s nakedness, and once traded orgasms in the growler at Chet’s. Let me make one thing perfectly clear: I have never been in the toilet at Chet’s.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Moore vs Albini

Postby Lep » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:18 pm

miss carol wrote:insulting his adversary's pants

Underwear. In that article, Thurston said that he said panties. The Spanish folks Britishized it to pants. Which is kinda pants, really.

And not to imply that Ms C doesn't know this. Do y'all say pants for drawers in the Great White?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Moore vs Albini

Postby miss carol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am

Lep wrote:Underwear. In that article, Thurston said that he said panties. The Spanish folks Britishized it to pants. Which is kinda pants, really.

And not to imply that Ms C doesn't know this. Do y'all say pants for drawers in the Great White?

At this time of year, it's all about longjohns.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 am

There is only one-way to settle this: Indie rock cage-fight! Now, Moore is clearly rangier with a greater reach, but I get the feeling Albini would fight with the ferocity of a rabid badger. I smell Pay-Per-View millions here, people. Who's on board?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am

jaimoe0 wrote:There is only one-way to settle this: Indie rock cage-fight! Now, Moore is clearly rangier with a greater reach, but I get the feeling Albini would fight with the ferocity of a rabid badger. I smell Pay-Per-View millions here, people. Who's on board?

Ok, but only if Lady Gagag shows up in a egg.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:There is only one-way to settle this: Indie rock cage-fight! Now, Moore is clearly rangier with a greater reach, but I get the feeling Albini would fight with the ferocity of a rabid badger. I smell Pay-Per-View millions here, people. Who's on board?
I'm might have to go with Moore/reach, even though he's pretty much a hippy.

What a lot of fucking nerve to yap about Sonic Youth's choices. I'm sure it's irking to Albini when people actually think someone's band is good enough that they're even presented with choices, choices beyond, say, oh, playing some 99% all-male dorkfest at some rundown shithole theater so you can then go brag about how you "only charged $5" and pretend this is a service to humanity.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I admire Albini. I think he strikes a great balance of taking on big acts to pay the bills while cultivating relationships and doing work with acts that are more closely aligned with his aesthetic. I do think he's a very principled guy. I'd still like to see two guitar dorks go at it in a cage match, though.

Return to “Rants and Raves”