Nemesis no more

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:I have found that over many years I sometimes forget the politics or context that made me hate an artist or song, so when I hear it now I'll be like, "Hey, that's actually pretty good."

My sentiments lie between this and Sugarcube's post. For me part of it is being able to revisit bands I haven't heard in a while that I initially hated, and realizing that they were a little better than my pretentious teenage self gave them credit for. Journey is a good example of this. After I grew to stop worrying so much about how my musical tastes "defined" who I was I can acknowledge that Neil Schon is a damn good guitarist, and they certainly knew how write memorable songs.

Relating to the Garbage example, I also find that in the context of the drek that normally stinks up radio these days, or what qualifies as "modern rock," I would easily go back to having to be subjected to 90's radio "alternative". I feel like I wasted a lot of time hating on "1979" or Everclear when I had no idea back then just how much worse it could get.
Rush still sucks though.

Return to “Rants and Raves”