Best album in the last 15 years?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Best album in the last 15 years?

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Jake wrote:
Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I also wanted to consider the White Stripes but couldn't, because I still don't think they've ever put out a single record that was solid enough. Add all their stuff up and it's awesome, but every album has something (usually several somethings) that should make Jack and Meg wince.

Just curious what you think the weak spots are on White Blood Cells. "The Union Forever" is my least favorite song on that album, and even that is still pretty cool with its Citizen Kane references.

Bing! That song drives me crazy. I'm also not big on 'Expecting', 'I Can Learn', and maybe 'This Protector'. The rest of the album is pure gold. White Blood Cells probably has the least amount of twaddle on it (next to their debut album).

I think the problem is tracks like 'Fell In Love With A Girl', 'Aluminum' and 'Hotel Yorba' just blow me away so hard, the lesser songs really stand out by comparison.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:SteveO, The Big Roar is better!

Gah! I missed this one. Must acquire now!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Oh, I forgot: the first 2/3 of "Welcome Interstate Managers".

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: The Big Roar

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:33 am

Did it take you guys a few listens to get into The Big Roar by the Joy Formidable? I've listened to it once all the way through and it did not blow my mind. Struck me as nice late-80s influenced girl vocal shoegaze, which was never my cup of tea (I don't like My Bloody Valentine). So I'm wondering if I need to give it more time, and listen to the lyrics and everything, or if it's just not for me?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 pm

jonas wrote:Oh, I forgot: the first 2/3 of "Welcome Interstate Managers".

Ooh, yeah, I did like that one. Good call.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 am

miss carol wrote:
jonas wrote:Oh, I forgot: the first 2/3 of "Welcome Interstate Managers".

Ooh, yeah, I did like that one. Good call.

Crap, yeah, I forgot that one. And Utopia Parkway might even have it beat, pound-for-pound.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Panda Bear's person pitch hasn't been mentioned and I'd def consider that one of the best over the last 15 yrs both in terms of ambition and quality. But, Areoplane probably trumps it in every way. Also sorta surprised to not have noticed any guided by voices. im pretty sure bee thousand doesn't fit in the timeframe, but i'm sure there's one album or another that could be in the mix. Perhaps under the bushes...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:15 pm

cat153 wrote: Also sorta surprised to not have noticed any guided by voices. im pretty sure bee thousand doesn't fit in the timeframe, but i'm sure there's one album or another that could be in the mix. Perhaps under the bushes...

I could be wrong, but I think Under the Bushes... was just over the cusp of 15 years. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 pm

cat153 wrote:Panda Bear's person pitch hasn't been mentioned and I'd def consider that one of the best over the last 15 yrs both in terms of ambition and quality. But, Areoplane probably trumps it in every way. Also sorta surprised to not have noticed any guided by voices. im pretty sure bee thousand doesn't fit in the timeframe, but i'm sure there's one album or another that could be in the mix. Perhaps under the bushes...

GBV is another one of those bands that need editing. 'Bee Thousand' would have been near the top of my list, and maybe Vampire. But a lot of Uncle Bob's last albums were mixed bags of greatness and filler.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Bara, Steve-O and Murphy all list a band I'm unfamiliar with, (The?) Wrens...Murphy actually lists it twice! So I got Meadowlands last night and am digging it. How did I miss this?

Return to “Rants and Raves”