Glorious Noise - Rock and roll can change your life.
Est. 2001
Rock and roll can change your life.

Whitney Houston beats Bobby Brown to Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Whitney Houston beats Bobby Brown to Death

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Drugs Kill. Especially when you sell 200,000,000 albums.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/1 ... 70889.html
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Whitney Houston beats Bobby Brown to Death

Postby jonas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 am

The question for me wasn't what the thread title would be, 'cause I knew that, it was who was gonna be first to post it? Well done, SC4E.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm

My first reaction when I heard the news of her death was that Whitney Houston's awful music dominating the late eighties is what actually MADE me "alternative." I realized fairly quickly that this was a rather tacky thing to say out loud and immediately regretted tweeting it. Oops.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:17 pm

my facebook feed is filled with "pro whitney" comments, a lot of them from people who hated everything that she stood for (big label top 40 manufactured crap pop music). fucking sell outs!
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby jonas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 pm

I have ~40 FB friends, but only one of them even mentioned Whitney. I'm pretty damned happy with that.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby sab » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I've never pretended not to like Whitney Houston, but I like crap music and am not afraid to admit it. That said, I've never owned a single Whitney Houston recording. I will stop and listen to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" any time it is on the radio though. And if I recall correctly, last summer I got booed off the stage on Turntable for playing "Greatest Love of All." Of course I did it to piss everyone off. I do find it funny that the same people who ranted and raved about hating Whitney Houston were playing A Ha. To me it's all the same sugar-coated cereal. I like a bowl of Cap'n Crunch every now and again, but it's certainly not something I eat every day.
sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby Lep » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm

sab wrote:I will stop and listen to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" any time it is on the radio though.

Yes, and her cover of Dolly is good, too.

But really, mostly I'm checking in to say hi, glad this is moving a bit, and looking forward to the redesign (or maybe just theme-switching) Jake mentioned somewhere else on the site. The current look really turns me off. But good on y'all for getting it back going, and thanks for that.
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby jonas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Lep wrote:But really, mostly I'm checking in to say hi, glad this is moving a bit, and looking forward to the redesign (or maybe just theme-switching) Jake mentioned somewhere else on the site. The current look really turns me off. But good on y'all for getting it back going, and thanks for that.

I also miss my "I Beat Up Jonas" avatar!
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Ad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:12 am

It's sad someone died. But I miss the days when a woman could sing a high note and not make a big deal about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-F4rfU4ns

Whitney Houston, along with a few others, is responsible for ushering in that godawful showboat singing that simply won't go away. I can't forgive that!
Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 pm

local man burns flag over new Jersey's Houston shout out!

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... ack_m.html

Burri was outraged that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ordered his state flag, and the American flag to be lowered to half-staff Saturday at state buildings in recognition of pop star Whitney Houston.

He was so dismayed that he bought a New Jersey flag and on Saturday -- the day of Houston's funeral. Burri first dragged the flag behind his vehicle and went past Veteran's Memorial Park in Grand Rapids and then past his son's gravesite.

Burri's son, Eric, died as a soldier in Iraq in 2005 from an IED explosion. He believes flying flags at half-staff should be reserved for military personnel who have died in service and others who have served their country.

"I admit that burning the flag was a little extreme, but I wanted to make a point," he said today. "I didn't do it to offend New Jersey residents, I did it to show that this decision was truly wrong.

"It was a slap in the face to soldiers everywhere," he said.

The best way to honor your fallen child is to drag a flag on the ground and light it on fire in front of your house.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Next

Return to Rants and Raves