Cover songs better than the original

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Re: Cover songs better than the original

Postby sab » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 am

Quiet Riot's cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel The Noize" is way better than Oasis' cover of Quiet Riot's version.

How about David Lee Roth's cover of "California Girls"?

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Manfred Mann's version of "Blinded by the Light is better than Bruce's. (Sorry Boss.)

I heard this the other day and had no idea it was a cover.

Never heard the Coldplay original, but this has to be better, right?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

cat153 wrote:Jeff Mangum- I love how you love me (gonna dance to taht at my wedding)

That was great, I'd forgotten it was on Live at Jittery Joe's. That also put me onto Jeff covering a Daniel Johnston song that Wilco has also covered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkah3U_GgM
I think I like Wilco's better, but I always appreciate Jeff's wordless vocalizing.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm

creepy wrote:Manfred Mann's version of "Blinded by the Light is better than Bruce's. (Sorry Boss.)

As much as I love Bruce, I have to agree.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

sab wrote:Quiet Riot's cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel The Noize" is way better than Oasis' cover of Quiet Riot's version.

How about David Lee Roth's cover of "California Girls"?

I disagree. I seem to recall that Quiet Riot recorded it as a joke, and was just slagging on the song the entire time. Oasis gave it the power-pop anthem treatment that is deserved.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm

steve-o wrote:I disagree. I seem to recall that Quiet Riot recorded it as a joke, and was just slagging on the song the entire time. Oasis gave it the power-pop anthem treatment that is deserved.

Um, no.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

You have to give me a little better than a two word response if we're going to argue about it.

I don't dislike Quiet Riot's cover. I just think their approach (party anthem) wasn't as strong as Oasis's.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:44 pm

I like the Oasis version just fine, I remember hearing a live version of it back in the day when I was into Oasis and loving it. But it came after the QR version, and to me it just sounds like Oasis playing the song exactly like you'd expect it to sound from Oasis. It's not like they did much to it, like arranged it differently or slowed it down and made it into a ballad or played it acoustic. Not that the QR version doesn't sound like QR playing the song exactly like you'd expect as well. I guess maybe I just like Quiet Riot better than Oasis. That's probably it.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 pm

sab wrote:It's not like they did much to it, like arranged it differently or slowed it down and made it into a ballad or played it acoustic.

And thank fuck they didn't. This is a separate rant altogether, but I don't get this trend of "reinterpreting" a song by making it acoustic or ballad-y. I just came across a Smiths Tribute where almost every single song was "I know, let's do "London" but play it acoustic! I know, let's do this one with banjos!"

Anyway, I agree it's subjective. Quiet Riot's delivery just sounds kind of goofy to me. Not to mention the shitty 80's hair metal drums.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:59 am

I don't get why anybody would do a straightforward cover song. If you're not going to make it your own, I'd rather just listen to the original. Wildly different interpretations of songs often make you appreciate the songwriting quality of the original. E.g., Travis' cover of "Baby One More Time" or Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights."

Return to “Rants and Raves”