Does the world need a new Van Halen album?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Does the world need a new Van Halen album?

Postby sab » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

Okay, so we've established that A Different Kind of Truth is a legitimately good album. I'm enjoying listening to it as I write this. But I have to ask, to what end? It just seems to me that this album exists outside of the space-time continuum, weirdly disconnected from any appropriate cultural context... I don't know, maybe it's just me projecting my own shit here.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Does the world need a new Van Halen album?

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am

Seems to me there are two schools of thought when it comes to music fans: completists and essentialists. Completists can never have enough music by a band and will happily pick up whatever comes out. Essentialists like to pare their collection down to the bare minimum.

Personally, I try to be an essentialist but I often fail. And of course it depends on the band. For Van Halen I am definitely an essentialist and would be perfectly content to just own a DLR-era "best of" compilation. In fact, looking in my iTunes library I have only six Van Halen songs: Running with the Devil, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Jamie's Cryin', Jump, Panama, and Hot For Teacher. That's way too paltry, I realize that. I mean, I LOVED Diver Down as a kid, so that album should really be represented. At the same time, if I'm jonesin' for some VH, all I need to do is turn on WLAV and I'm guaranteed to be rocking out to "And the Cradle Will Rock" or "Beautiful Girls" within 15 minutes.

But jeez, I just looked at Amazon and you can get the first album on CD for $5.00 and most of the rest of their catalog for about $7. This is a fucking fantastic time to be a CD buyer! I might have to go against everything I just said and purchase the complete Van Halen catalog. (But I won't be buying A Different Kind of Truth because, frankly, who the needs it?)

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

But it's good.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:57 pm

It's an interesting question. I've listened to it a couple of times now, and it is pretty good. But I just wondered if maybe I exist outside some realm of die hard VH fans who have been waiting with baited breath for its release? Was anyone really anticipating a new VH album?

Fuck it is the appropriate response, I guess. If the Eagles can keep churning out new records, why not? Since Van Halen is now classic rock anyway....

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 pm

steve-o wrote:Since Van Halen is now classic rock anyway....

When was Van Halen not classic rock?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 pm

sab wrote:
steve-o wrote:Since Van Halen is now classic rock anyway....

When was Van Halen not classic rock?

1986?

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Frankly, the world needs new albums from everyone. Let the world subsequently sort out which ones are wheat and which are merely chaff.

Return to “Rants and Raves”