Cover songs better than the original

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Cover songs better than the original

Postby steve-o » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 pm

I don't have a problem with acoustic covers of songs per se, just that this seems to be what everyone defaults to these days, and in some cases, it really doesn't do the song justice. Exhibit A, would you really want to see an acoustic cover of "Cum on Feel The Noize?"

"Oh, you do a cover of "There is a Light That Never Goes Out"? Let me guess, it's all acoustic-y and atmospheric?" It just gets old after a while.

Case in point, I didn't cite these in my original list because I don't think they're better than the original, but pretty damn good reinterpretations. In fact, I've had the first song on repeat since I heard it:

(Kitten- Panic)

(Destroyer- Leave Me Alone)

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 pm

My vote is for Evan Dando's cover of Gram Parsons' "$1000 Wedding" from the Return of the Grievous Angel tribute album. A great version of a great song, arguably made better by virtue of modern production techniques and some rhythmic tweaks. To my ears, it seems more dynamic than the original. Juliana Hatfield even holds her own in the Emmylou role.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 am

I don't know if this is better than the original, but here's a very cool cover of Joy Division's 'She's Lost Control' by Spoek Matahambo.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to embed video...trust me, it's awesome.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I don't know if this is better than the original, but here's a very cool cover of Joy Division's 'She's Lost Control' by Spoek Matahambo.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to embed video...trust me, it's awesome.

OK, I just added a new button up there (next to "Font colour") to embed a Vimeo video. Let's see if it works:

You just paste in the "number" part of the Vimeo link.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:22 am

Cool! Now even I can post videos!

Also, the other day I heard Joan Jett's cover of 'Crimson & Clover'. I don't know if its musically better than the original or not but it rocks, plus it has 80's era Joan Jett talking hot about another chick.

Return to “Rants and Raves”