Donald "Duck" Dunn is dead

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Donald "Duck" Dunn is dead

Postby steve-o » Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm sure the five of you still reading this board would have heard by now, but here's the article in the local press:

I say this without any hyperbole, we lost one of the greatest bass players who ever lived. Just listen to how motherfucking tight this band is. They don't make 'em like this anymore:

EDIT: I thought about making some snappy headline about "Duck Dunn beats Steve Cropper to death," but I just have too much respect for the man. But as they say, "if the shit fits, wear it!"

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Donald "Duck" Dunn is dead

Postby DJMurphy » Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am

When I got this news on Mother's Day, it hit me in the stomach like a bowling ball. Duck is dead?? Impossible! He'd beaten cancer! He was livin' life right, as far as we could tell. And anyway, he was too young to die; Booker T. and the MG's still had a bunch more shows to play until they hung it up and called it quits! But there it was in black and white; he'd died in his sleep in Tokyo, after two gigs with his best friend Steve Cropper and wonderful Stax mainstay, Eddie Floyd. I guess it's small consolation he died with his boots on, still doing what he was so great at. But man, this sucks. I wore my blue-era Stax logo t-shirt in tribute all day.

I got into him the way a lot of us did: through the Blues Brothers. That inspired me to dig deeper, to buy that incredible box set The Complete Stax/Volt Singles, 1959-1968, and man, I'm still a freakishly ardent Stax fan, and his forever-in-the-pocket bass playing was part of what made it all possible. God rest your soul, Duck; say hi to Otis, Isaac, Dave Prater, Andrew Love, Estelle Axton, John Belushi, Wilson Pickett, and Al Jackson, Jr. for all of us when you get up there.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue May 15, 2012 9:07 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I got into him the way a lot of us did: through the Blues Brothers. That inspired me to dig deeper, to buy that incredible box set The Complete Stax/Volt Singles, 1959-1968, and man, I'm still a freakishly ardent Stax fan, and his forever-in-the-pocket bass playing was part of what made it all possible. God rest your soul, Duck; say hi to Otis, Isaac, Dave Prater, Andrew Love, Estelle Axton, John Belushi, Wilson Pickett, and Al Jackson, Jr. for all of us when you get up there.

Count me as one of those. I loved the Blues Brothers when I was younger (not to say that's changed as I got older). One day it hit me, "Hold On I'm Comin'" is a solid jam. That got me into Sam and Dave, and then Otis, and from there pretty much the rest of the Motown/Muscle Shoals/Stax catalogs. At some point, I realized, "Holy shit, those guys aren't just actors, they're really great musicians!" Then someone who was waaaayyy into Booker T pretty much schooled me on the history. From then I was hooked.

I just discovered McElmore Avenue less than a year ago. So it's a continuing process. But damn dude, thanks for some great tunes.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 am

A sad day, for sure. The Blues Brothers was so important in getting me interested in a lot of good r&b.

Return to “Rants and Raves”