$6,500 for a Smashing Pumpkins album

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

$6,500 for a Smashing Pumpkins album

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 am

one of only 25 copies ever pressed of the Smashing Pumpkins "final" album... (which was never officially released)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0741579225

the last time this vinyl copy went on ebay the auction ended when it hit $10,000

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: $6,500 for a Smashing Pumpkins album

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 am

I downloaded Machina II and I'd say that $6500 is about $6485 more than it's worth, but to each his own I guess.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

Just read a great quote from Corgan from the Feb 2012 issue of Mojo that I'm finally getting around to:

The first real band I was in was a Rush covers band. [...] We'd spend hours obsessively learning every Rush song. I was kicked out of that band with a phone call from my best friend. He said, "You're too intense, you're bumming us out." I was 16 so this isn't something that came later (laughs). I said, "But it's Rush. You can't just fuck around with Rush!"

The kid spoke the truth!

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:08 pm

the history of this album is what drove up the auction price. The only digital copies of machina II available on the interwebs are rips from this actual vinyl copy. it was never sold to the public. When recording Machina the band paid for the final weeks of studio time out of their own pocket after the label pulled the plug on them (and forced the first volume into an official release) At the time the band was breaking up, but they made quite a big deal publicly of the fact that they had an album's worth of material that they wanted to release. (the tracks that make up Machina II were alt tracks and songs that didn't make it on the first volume..)

the band pressed to vinyl a handful of promo copies of Machina II (the tracks or alt mixes left off Machina) and they sent them to a handful of fans and told them to rip them and distribute digital copies online to the fan community. it was a gift for fans at a time when the band was ending, and a thumb in the eye of the record company which wouldn't release it formally. This copy went to Q101, which sold it 10 years ago at a charity auction.

3 years ago the owner tried to sell it but pulled the auction when it hit $10k.

Last week it went back on Ebay. I know people who were bidding on it. Since several people have tried to sell bogus copies of this album in the past, any ebay auction like this gets a lot of attention.

late last week Billy tweeted that he did not approve of the album being sold on ebay (since it was a promo copy never intended to be circulated publicly. He also claims to legally own the rights to it or some other nonsense).

A few days ago, right before the auction was to end a guy who runs an SP fan site (and is relatively close with billy) contacted the seller and warned her NOT to continue with the ebay auction (because billy would sue her).

24 hours later the auction was pulled and her account was deleted from ebay...

All of this ridiculousness probably makes the vinyl set even MORE valuable. Not because it's particularly good. It's probably the worst SP album to date. But because it's wrapped up in the history of the band and it's self destruction that occured in 2000, right at the end of the 90s.

BTW, billy corgan is working with Flood (the original producer) and will be issuing a remastered/mixed and resequenced Machina I & II in 2013. i suspect when that heavily retweeked version of the "double" album goes on sale the value of these few collectors items will drop quite a bit.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:BTW, billy corgan is working with Flood (the original producer) and will be issuing a remastered/mixed and resequenced Machina I & II in 2013. i suspect when that heavily retweeked version of the "double" album goes on sale the value of these few collectors items will drop quite a bit.

Doubt it. If there are only 25 copies of the original in existence, their value will maintain as long as there are collectors who care about the band. $10,000 might have been a bubble. But if digital copies are already readily available, it's the physical object that has the value, not the content.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Me thinks you are correct Jake. I've heard collectors say they'd spend $15k for the album. This failed auction and Corgan poo pooing it online have probably made it MORE valuable!

Return to “Rants and Raves”