Home Audio Suggestions

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Home Audio Suggestions

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 am

I'm looking for a new home stereo. my Mac has served as my audio player for too long and it's time to change that.

I'm looking for something small that would look good in my living room. Nothing too pro. It should allow me to play CDs and jack in my iPod, but would also be expandable in case I want to add a turntable or additional speakers later.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I've browsed Tivoli and Bose, but without a demo I'm uncertain whether dropping $500 on one of these little boxes is worth it.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Home Audio Suggestions

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 am

I suppose that my setup isn't exactly what you have in mind... ;)

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I've browsed Tivoli and Bose, but without a demo I'm uncertain whether dropping $500 on one of these little boxes is worth it.

Neither are worth a shit, terrible brands that are all about marketing rather than quality sound.

If you want something compact, I would look for a Cambridge Audio unit like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-O ... B0035B9CY6

But why not just buy a real stereo, with separate components?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I suppose that my setup isn't exactly what you have in mind... ;)

Aiieeee!!!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 am

I never thought I'd buy another Bose product. But I did. And I don't regret it (so far).

I needed something to be able to play music on the patio. I wanted something wireless, and this is. It connects to your iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth and contains a rechargeable battery that last several hours. It sounds pretty good. Obviously not a lot of stereo separation. It cost $300, which seems about twice as much as it should be, but the total wirelessness is pretty great for summer evenings outside.

Return to “Rants and Raves”