Liz album???

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:04 pm

Jake wrote:This week it's number 17 with 1,342 plays.

"Why Can't I?" is still moving up on the radio...

Week Ending: 7/25/2003 Hot AC Chart
#16: 1,523 total plays

And she even got 439 plays on 40 CHR/Pop stations. I don't really know what "CHR/Pop" means, but I think it's the big time...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:48 pm

Jake wrote: I don't really know what "CHR/Pop" means, but I think it's the big time...

CHR = Contemporary Hits Radio, i.e. Top 40 teenybopper.

There was a new-ish article posted on billboard.com which actually gives me a little more hope about Liz's motivations, in which she actually discusses how she tried to jump off Capitol, found out she couldn't, and tried to make the best of it. Here's hoping that this recent album doesn't do too well, so that Capitol drops her and we get back our old Liz. And no, I don't wish any ill will on Liz, I just hate the teenybopper packaging and insipid songs.

Read the article here: http://www.billboard.com/bb/feature/art ... id=1933414

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:01 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Read the article here: http://www.billboard.com/bb/feature/art ... id=1933414

Wow, great article. Sounds like she's changing her tune a bit now:
"I'm in a win-win situation," Phair says. "If this record goes, I can do things on my own. But if this record doesn't go, then Capitol will drop me because of the amount of money they've spent on it, and I can go to an indie."

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:53 pm

It's called saving face. It wasn't so long ago she was saying she's always wanted to make a record like this and blah blah blah. I'm afraid her cred gets more tarnished everytime she gives an interview.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:13 pm

I dunno, D. I wonder if instead of saving face (and what a cute face she has to save!) , if the article on Billboard.com isn't what she really feels, and if she didn't get rapped on the knuckles by Capitol Rec's for talking out of turn. I suppose we won't know until such point that Liz Phair no longer records for Capitol, and/or any gag orders they might slap on her expired.

There's a similar case with Dave Matthews, with the Lillywhite Sessions. Like him or lump him, the story went that the bootleg cuts that slipped out were the original ideas for what eventually became the Everyday album/piece of shit. The fans and even the critics praised the far superior Lillywhite bootlegs, and came up with theories that the original tracks were quashed by a hit-hungry RCA Records. Even though Mr. Matthews claims that Everyday was the record he meant to make, you gotta wonder to which extent a gun wasn't being held to his head when he said that, much in the same way that Liz Phair might be under a considerable amount of duress to say just how great and artistically true all that Matrix-produced ephemera really is.

Just a theory...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:20 pm

Yes, Murph, that could be the case. Still, is she such a great actress that she can plainly look a journalist in the face and expound on the greatness of the Matrix? I mean, you have to sort of believe that shit to promote it, no?

That said, I'm not looking to bash Liz Phair. I just find this sudden turn around a bit too Ari Fleischer for my tastes.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Hitting the nail on the head

Postby O! » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:51 am

I think she said it best herself:

I'm not like other people I know who literally bleed music.

That's pretty obvious by now . . .

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Hitting the nail on the head

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:02 am

potamus23 wrote:I'm not like other people I know who literally bleed music.

I hate it when people misuse the word "literally." No one literally bleeds music.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Hitting the nail on the head

Postby miss carol » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:15 am

Jake wrote:I hate it when people misuse the word "literally." No one literally bleeds music.

Agreed. See definition

There will be a test.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:38 am

I hate it when people misuse the word "literally." No one literally bleeds music.

If they do, we should call the Vatican. I'll bet we'd get on Dateline.

Return to “Rants and Raves”