Jay-Z?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 21, 2001 11:53 am

So Jolie's brother's girlfriend burned me a copy of the new Jay-Z album, The Blueprint, and after listening to it a couple times through I've got to admit that I kind of like it...

This is the first new, commercial hip hop I've listened to in a long time. It's pretty cool. Especially the second track, which samples the Doors, "Five to One."

I didn't want to post this to the front page, because I'm not really sure what I'm saying. But does anybody else like Jay-Z? I hated that song with the "Annie" sample. But then I read this article in the New Yorker that made me think I should give him a try...

Is hip hop alive and well in the 21st century after all?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake on 2001-11-21 10:56 ]</font>

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:03 pm

Alive and well? That might be putting it a bit strongly. Rap hasn't been well since the glory days of NWA, Cube, PE, Geto Boys, Too Short, Paris, etc. Alive, most definitely.

Jay-Z? Burn me some and I might be able to answer that.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:07 pm

Go out and download the song "Takeover." It's cool.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:10 pm

As I've mentioned on many a recent drunken night, I dig Blackaliscious plenty. The album NIA is similar in tone and production to the golden stuff of the early 90s. Really good stuff and makes me think a RAP revolution is due. That genre is just as vulnerable to the influence of crap as any other and it too will have a comeback of artistic value.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:24 pm

So I heard the Jay-Z. It's pretty dope.

Return to “Rants and Raves”