The Man In Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:50 pm

Time for a Johnny Cash appreciation thread cuz I just downloaded some 'Live At San Quentin' mp3's and they just KICK ASS! I gotta get the cd now.

I know this is a hip music site and everyone already knows how great JC is, but Johnny is the man-how can you not shout out praises for this guy?

http://www.johnnycash.com/billboard.htm

We must all listen to Johnny Cash now! (Y'know, he shot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die.) So sez me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:52 pm

Shecky, both Live at Folsom and Live at San Quentin have both recently been reissued on CD with the complete concerts unedited. They both rule and they belong in the collection of anyone who truly believes in rock and roll.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake on 2001-10-11 16:52 ]</font>

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:29 pm

Dude, JC is one of the pillars of coolness in my music appreciation.

Elvis, Frank, and Neil are three of the others.

He is in good company.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:18 pm

Yep, Johnny Cash is so cool it makes me wonder- what the fuck happened to country? It used to be full of giants: Hank (Sr.), Patsy, Johnny, George, etc.

Now it's just awful. With the exceptions of Dwight Yoakum and Steve Earle, country pretty much stinks. Where are the Faron Youngs of the 21st century?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:26 pm

The Man in Black is out of the hospital again. Woo hoo. I can't wait for him to finish up American Recordings IV!

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:24 pm

Has anyone seen the picture of the Cash/Carter family in the November issue of "Vanity Fair"? The Man in Black does not look well.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:31 pm

why not rehash an old thread...Im sure people are gonna gripe but dangit I think the Johnny Cash biopic is gonna be good...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:47 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:why not rehash an old thread...Im sure people are gonna gripe but dangit I think the Johnny Cash biopic is gonna be good...

Gripe. I'm not getting my hopes up.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:why not rehash an old thread...Im sure people are gonna gripe but dangit I think the Johnny Cash biopic is gonna be good...

I would love it to be good, but it won't be.
Not with Reese Witherspoon and her Jay Leno Jawline. and I like Joaquin Phoenix, but no matter how good he sings, it AIN'T CASH'S voice.
I didn't really think RAY was very good either,Foxx was great but they were smart to use the real Ray's voice and music.
I'll go see WALK THE LINE anyway, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

By the way, if anyone want to spend the loot, UNEARTHED is a great cd set of CASH'S Rick Rubin work. Set you back about $50 or $60 but its great.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:16 pm

I own Live at Folsom, but I need some direction. I want San Quentin, but any recommendations in regards to box sets (BTW, thanks Russ, if I can find Unearthed for a little cheaper I plan on picking it up), full-lengths, etc.? It's embarrassing to ask, but his discography is so expansive, I was looking for some opinions from more serious Cash gormandizers.

Return to “Rants and Raves”