Which branch would you cut from the Musickal Tree?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Which branch would you cut from the Musickal Tree?

Post by Barabajagal » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:49 am

Envision pop music history as a tree, and the big branches are the great bands and the little branches are the bands that grew out of those big branches, which one would you cut off, and thus spare pop music some terrible, terrible bands--and why?

Remember, that branch/band can be a great band, but still have caused much bad music in its wake.

Here's my pick: The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Think of all the crappy punk/funk, rap/rock we might have been spared, if only for a while...

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by DrinkinOxygen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:27 am

Jimmy Buffet

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 am

Van Halen.

That would cut off all the stupid obnoxious frontmen, needless guitar acrobatics and fingertapping, stupid glam-metal bar-bands, and guitar magazines that made it big post-Halen.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:37 am

The Cure. While a decent pop band, eliminating them would have saved the world a whole bunch of moping by their less talented descendants.

Bite your tongue on the Van Halen thing. There was a whole lot of guitar wankery going on before that first album came out.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:46 am

Metallica. With Metallica out of the picture there'd be no angry, spoiled white jocks to cluster around lesser speed/death metal bands. Imagine a world with no Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Staind, Linkin Park, etc. Metallica was decent enough, but they spawned many crap bands. The notable exception, of course, being Rage Against The Machine.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:The Cure. While a decent pop band, eliminating them would have saved the world a whole bunch of moping by their less talented descendants.
C'mon, jaimoe0, you could use that argument to justify cutting off Joy Division. Or Nirvana. Or Weezer. All these bands spawned shitty rip offs, but its not their fault.
That being said, I would remove Lynyrd Skynyrd or failing that, Puff Daddy. Think how much of a better place the world would be. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:49 pm

Crap, I'm an idiot. I misunderstood the whole point of this thread. I thought you meant shitty bands that spawned shittier bands. Next time I'll think before I type.
Okay, so I agree with Jamie0, the Cure would be a good one.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:18 pm

The Grateful Dead. Garth Brooks. (or would that be Kenny Rogers who's responsible for mainstream "country"?)

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:49 pm

I think Barbajagal has it. Musically speaking, the world would be a much better place if the Red Hot Chilli Peppers hadn't existed. While I enjoyed a lot of their early albums, I can't listen to them anymore without cringing over what they've spawned. I single-handedly blame them for abominiations like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park and dozens of other punk-funk-rap-metal crapfests.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by DrinkinOxygen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:50 pm

DJMurphy wrote:The Grateful Dead
Ohhh... that's definitely a good call.

A very, very good call.