Get Hung

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Get Hung

Postby ryanking » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:41 am

William Hung's CD just came out. Finally, huh?

You know, I pretty much hate American Idol and everything it brought into this world, but I fucking love this guy. I love him like I love the Shaggs.

You gotta admit, the title, the cover, the words of inspiration, the song selection, it's perfect. We need about 80 more CDs like this. This CD should be number one on the chart for 12 weeks!!!

www.williamhung.net

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:56 am

From AMG: "..."Those three songs are so awful that they will indeed transcend Hung's brief moment in the spotlight to stand as novelty classics — which ain't the same thing as a good record, but it's probably going to be more than Jon Stevens, Camile Velasco, Leah LaBelle, or probably even John Peter Lewis and Fantasia Barrino will leave us with, when you think about it. Seacrest...OUT!"

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311061552360915&sql=A9glvad8kq8w8

Alias

Postby Alias » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:18 am

The American Idol sucks ass..."Get Hung", dude anyone who watches that show or buys anything associated with that mundane garbage is already hung...u pathetic indigent zombies

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:32 am

whoa! he looks even less like an idol than that kurt nilsen-guy!

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:43 am

I bet his cover of "Hotel California" is still an improvement on the original. And sweet Jesus does Ryan Seacrest ever need to die.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:06 am

dieblucasdie wrote:I bet his cover of "Hotel California" is still an improvement on the original.

Come on, man... I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!

NickL
GLONO Board Playa

Postby NickL » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:10 am

I could understand people hating this show, but it's just so addicting if you watch from the beginning. Tarentino was a cool guest judge the other night too.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:22 am

I gotta admit, I don't get the American Idol thing. Is it the cruelty of laughing at fame whores and bad singers? Do people really like the singers and root for them to win? If so, why?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:31 am

American Idol is just further proof that overnite sensation = overnite flash in the pan. It is so much better to build slowly and EARN your place at the top (Beyonce, for a handy example) rather than get it handed to you and then snatched away (Justin Guarini, anyone?).

And yes, wasn't Seacrest one of the twelve plagues that befell Egypt? Crush that dwarf!!!!! DTMFA!!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:52 am

I'm a big fan of Idol. I even call in and vote for my favorites (several times!). Here's why I like it:

In the first few weeks, it's fun to watch the really bad singers who think they're good and have bad attitudes, and to see them get made fun of. It's also amusing to know the judges are being tortured by having to sit through hours and hours of mediocrity and sub-mediocrity. Ha ha. I don't like it when some nice, but not that great singer, gets humiliated by the judges for my benefit. I often skip right past that shit with my Tivo.

After they narrow down the finalists, it's a-whole-nother thing. Then you learn about their upbringing and get to know their personalities, and you develop immediate opinions to each of them. You hate some people and love some other people. You want to see the assholes get the boot and the sweethearts move on up.

The music is usually pretty bad, but that's what Tivo's 30-second skip is for. And sometimes the music is great. Generally, only the black people on American Idol are any good. This year is no exception. The only great singers are George Huff (who can really belt it out in a Sam & Dave/4 Tops kind of style), Fantasia Barrino who seems kind of ghetto but has a totally awesome voice and all kinds of style, soul and attitude -- plus she sort of has a cool Macy Gray/Billy Holliday thing going), and finally, homegirl Jennifer Hudson (who has this amazing gospel voice that just sends shivers down your spine). Seriously, these three singers are all 60s Motown worthy singers.

Of course, none of them will win. America will choose some total lame-o. But who knows? I usually try to vote at least 10 times per week, but I read somewhere in some article that a lot of people vote up to 750 times per week, so I might have to up my vote count to compete effectively.

Also, one more thing. The first year's winner, Kelly Clarkston, was really good. She sang an Aretha song on the show that totally blew my mind. And I like her single, "Miss Independent." It's a good, fun pop song. But that's the thing, after these kids get their recording contract, they record a bunch of overproduced schlock rather than let them be soulful and good.

Anyway, I'm a fan. It's sort of a guilty pleasure, but these are my reasons why I like it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”