A Little Over The Line?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

A Little Over The Line?

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:38 pm

From this week's Onion, I'm sure most of you have seen it by now:

Weird Al Honors Parents' Memory With
'Tears In Heaven' Parody
FALLBROOK, CA—Zany, mourning entertainer "Weird Al" Yankovic has parodied Eric Clapton's eulogy song "Tears In Heaven" in loving tribute to his parents, who recently died of carbon-monoxide poisoning in their San Diego home, a spokesman for Yankovic said Monday. "Al's hurting deeply right now, and this is his way of honoring Nick and Mary," Karl Tuft said of the song in which a subdued Yankovic sings, "First you lit some flames / Then the smoke stopped your breathin' / Carbon mono's th'way you went... / Up to heaven" over a somber, minor-key accordion melody. Tuft added that the best way for Yankovic to give voice to his pain and loss was by altering the voice of Clapton's pain and loss.

Usually I'm definitely one to laugh at other people's misfortunes, but wasn't this just a little tasteless? I mean Wierd Al's such a nice guy....
Maybe I'm just getting soft. It must be all the emo.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:41 pm

You know, when the topic came up originally... I thought of bringing up the question of whether or not anyone thought he'd do a song about it, but for the very reason of being in poor taste, I didn't... but I had to wonder.

I say, you pay tribute how you can, and if it helps him deal with the loss of his loved ones, we can't hold him any more accountable than we can Clapton for writing "Tears In Heaven" in the first place... (erm....)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:46 pm

Hmmm...I'm all for taking the piss outta stuff, but this is in poor taste. Yeah, Al made a career out of satire, but he knows the boundaries. I'm disappointed in the Onion. Oh well.

I'm directing my virotrol towards the father and step-mother who murdered his four year old daughter after as many years of beatings. They chopped her up then denied it then blamed her for slitting her own throat. He got 1st degree and she got 2nd. Fucking monsters.
Last edited by miss carol on Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:46 pm

DO, you are aware that Weird Al didn't really do the song - it was an Onion piece. Right?

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:49 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:DO, you are aware that Weird Al didn't really do the song - it was an Onion piece. Right?

True, first thing I thought of, and I haven't seen the "article" myself, but they do often talk about real-life things in the media world, and the music world specifically.

I guess, even if he HAD done it (maybe he didn't, maybe he didn't), either way my above response still stands.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:57 pm

miss carol wrote:I'm directing my virotrol towards the father and step-mother who murdered his four year old daughter after as many years of beatings. They chopped her up then denied it then blamed her for slitting her own throat. He got 1st degree and she got 2nd. Fucking monsters.

I'll add that to my database of why people are scum. Lets see, that will be entry #142,234,344,334.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:03 pm

The nice thing about the Onion is that they don't hold back. Remember "Holy Fucking Shit: America Attacked"?

trainwreck
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby trainwreck » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:24 pm

I was disappointed by theOnion on the Weird Al piece, and I did also think of the post 9/11 piece, which I thought was appropriate. The Weird AL piece was especially bad when they made the fake lyrics...

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:42 am

That's comedy. You're always pushing the boundaries of what taste. Seeing what exactly is acceptable. As a result the line is going to be crossed ocasionally.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:10 am

WalterCracker wrote:That's comedy. You're always pushing the boundaries of what taste. Seeing what exactly is acceptable. As a result the line is going to be crossed ocasionally.

I suppose you have a point.

Return to “Rants and Raves”