Recording MP3s from Vinyl

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Chris G
Dotman

Recording MP3s from Vinyl

Post by Chris G » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:38 pm

I'm trying to record some vinyl onto MP3s. My stereo has separate pre &power amps, so I’m able to run the audio out straight to an audio in source, bypassing power amplification. I have three machines here- A Mac G3, a Mac G5, and a PC laptop (Dell). I’d prefer not to use the G5 (OS X) because… well just because it is set up in my office nook in the bedroom and everything is set-up how/where I want it and I don’t want to drag everything all over. By its nature, the laptop is portable and I could go sit it in the living room and should theoretically be the best option, as well there may be more options for doing this on a PC (maybe), but the Dell is a lemon, is constantly in need of repair, and is currently out of commission (barely over a year old, what a piece of junk). The G3, while the oldest and slowest of the machines (and runs OS 9), is also conveniently on a roller cart. Right now my hope is to find software (Mac OS 9) that will let me run the stereo into the G3’s audio in and just click record, then rip MP3s. That is the plan. It is however not going as smoothly as planned.

If anyone has suggestions on ripping vinyl to MP3s, please advise.

In order of preference:

1.) Mac OS 9 software- Will let me roll my G3 cart into the living room, hook it up to the stereo, record vinyl then wheel it away. Yes, that is the plan.

2.) Mac OS X software- I’ll have to drag stereo equipment back into the bedroom, it will be a big friggin’ messy pain in the ass, but if the process is simple and straight forward, it might be worth it if no viable OS 9 option is found.

3.) Windows 2000- I’d have to take the laptop to the shop, have it repaired, costing me money before I could even see if it might work for the job, so, other than as an incentive to repair the thing (again), I have little desire to find a Windows solution.

Right now I'm looking into software on CNet's download.com, and I found a site here that gives one guy's experience with such a project.

Any advice or examples of other’s success at this endeavor is wholeheartedly welcome. Anything that shortens the trial and error process on my side is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:10 am

Sound Studio by Felt Tip Software did the trick. Now to get them on my iPod I will sneaker net them back to the G5 on a Zip disk.

Screen Shot of Sound Studio

Doesn't get anymore straight forward than that.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:11 am

My first order of business has been the Avengers self titled LP, not available on CD and out of print. It's in the living room sampling right now.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:59 pm

Too Late, It's gone

Download Avengers - Car Crash MP3

I won't be leaving this link up there, so get 'em while they last.

Last edited by Chris G on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by ryanking » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:03 am

Cool that you found a way to do it. Ad has been making some CDs from vinyl too. I think Ad said that he actually used a CD recorder that records directly from the vinyl to a CD, in real time.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:34 am

Alright, I gotta ask any of the PC folks if they've run into the same problem I did when trying to convert vinyl (or even a RealAudio stream) into a .wav: it will be quite a few steps slower. For vinyl, this won't ultimately be a problem; I have a Technics SL1200 turntable with a pitch control. All I'll have to do is record it at a slightly faster speed and it will equalize out. But this is ultimately just a band-aid, and doesn't address the matter of recording streams.

Does anyone know a) why this occurs, and b) a way to prevent this from occurring?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:42 am

ryanking wrote:Cool that you found a way to do it. Ad has been making some CDs from vinyl too. I think Ad said that he actually used a CD recorder that records directly from the vinyl to a CD, in real time.
That's one way to do it.

My purpose wasn't to have CDs though. It was to have MP3s or AIFFs to put on my iPod. If I used a CD recorder, I would still have to take the CD to the computer and rip from the CD to be able to transfer them to any device... and while I've sampled these pretty straight, I did apply a little equalization. The sampling software has many tools for editing, though in all frankness I've not made much use of them at this point.

All of that said, there's no doubt that using a CD recorder ranks very high on the convenience meter. If Ad stumbles onto this thread, it would be nice to hear his account of the experience.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:43 am

forgot to log in...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:57 am

DJMurphy wrote:Alright, I gotta ask any of the PC folks if they've run into the same problem I did when trying to convert vinyl (or even a RealAudio stream) into a .wav: it will be quite a few steps slower.
That's insane, Murph. What software are you using to record?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:44 am

Jake, this has happened with two separate applications: I used GrooveMechanic the first time, and Magix Music Studio the second. Whenever I try to convert either RealAudio, subdivide a larger Windows Media file, record vinyl... anything other than a standard data file (audio from a DVD, CD, mp3 file, etc.), it gives me the end result slower than it should. IT-wise, this shouldn't be happening; it's a Dell computer with a Pentium 4 Hyper Threading processor and 512 MB RAM, just purchased this year, with the OEM audio hardware. I don't think I should have to purchase a higher-performance audio card just to record a vinyl record, and this bug is just insane. The fact that it happened on two separate applications baffles me, and points to the fact that there may be some settings I'm unaware of that need to be boosted.