The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Just finished How Soccer Explains the World, still reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and have started re-reading Neverwhere. I'm not sure what non-fiction I want to pick up next. Must check the pile...

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Just finished Carry On, Jeeves by Wodehouse. And just started Up The Junction by Nell Dunn. Guess I'm on a bit of a Brit kick at the moment.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Getting close to finishing Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution by Stephen Colgrave and Chris Sullivan. Up next, finishing The Replacements: All Over but the Shouting: An oral history by Jim Walsh and the 33and a third book on "Pet Sounds," which I've had for a couple of years, but haven't read yet.
Last edited by jaimoe0 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Death By Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Quite enjoying it. Just finished a chapter about how the invention of the prism changed the course of astronomy. Heard Dark Side of the Moon in my head the whole time.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:14 am

I finished this earlier today. It should be required reading for all Americans, and for all Chinese, while we're at it.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:07 pm

miss carol wrote:still reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
I love this book. Very curious about the film...

I just read The Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr, a true account of a biophysicist's discovery of a revolutionary new theory of smell--the only sense we do not physically understand, yet. Because those who came up (in the 60s) with viable theories of sight and sound won the Nobel, it is a very competetive field, and the book sheds light on the fact that science is not perfect, and prone to chance, individual jealousies, etc. It also goes into the highly secretive, multi-billion $ world of perfume and scent manufacturing. If you'd told me a month ago I'd even be interested in such a book, I'd lay a watchootalkinbout?! on you so fast your head would spin.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Barabajagal wrote:
I love this book. Very curious about the film...
For the love of god, let them hire a script editor and pay them a shitload because the book realllly needed one. I'm about 300 pages in (not even half way) and I can see what I'd cut. No question. What happened? This is a debut!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 pm

miss carol wrote:Just finished How Soccer Explains the World
That was a really interesting read, though the title was misleading...really it was about all the incredibly insane behavior that passes for semi-acceptable in some soccer environments.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:21 pm

I just finished Billy Bathgate and a Minette Walters book, and am now itching for something trashy and mindless to read. After that...Age of Innocence.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Tired of the Art Garfunkle list? Try thisexercise: 1001 books to read before you die. It's flawed, naturally, but what list isn't? Oh, and before you grouse, one of the major flaws is there is no non-fiction. So don't say I didn't warn you.