Mooney Suzuki and Nike:

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mooney Suzuki and Nike:

Post by Guest »

Just curious what everyone thinks of the brand new Nike Commercial airing regularly during the Major League Baseball. It features a Mooney Suzuki song and prominently displays a New York Marquee with Mooney Suzuki's name on it. I was a bit surprised to see Jason Giambi belting batting practice home runs while Moone Suzuki "rocked out".
ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by ryanking »

If it takes Nike commercials to get rock back in the public eye, I'll take it. I'm sure Jake and D. Phillips felt the same about the "Revolution" Nike commercial in the late 1980s, ha ha.
D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

If people want to pay artists to put their songs in commercials, what do I care? Everyone has bills to pay. Writing a song specifically for a commercial is a different story. I enjoy a good jingle with the rest of them but I don't want to hear Neil Young singing about Sprint. I can't tell you exactly why, but I don't.

The Revolution commercial is a little different too because the company did not have permission to use the Beatles' performance of that song. Yes, they bought the rights to feature the song in its ad, but not the Beatles performing that song.

Johnny and I were talking about this last night. Does it really matter if a band sells a song it's already recorded and released for a commercial? What if they take that money and record more great music? Again, we all have bills to pay and I don't give a shit if the Mooney Suzuki get their name in a Nike ad, Ryan Adams appears in a GAP commercial, or Jeff Tweedy makes a nod in an Apple spot. They all make records I love.
thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by thousandfold »

I totally forgot to mention, I saw the Mooney Suzuki open up for the Strokes last week, and wow, they were great.
Shamus McHayden

which song?

Post by Shamus McHayden »

Does Anybody know which Mooney Suzuki song is featured in the Nike commercial? I havent seen the commercial, so i was just wondering
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Commercials? Don't you people have cable TV and remote controls?
Rich

The Mooney Suzuki and Nike

Post by Rich »

The commercial in question is a Nike commercial with Jason Giambi of the Yankees. Mooney Suzuki play their "interpretation" of an old Cole Porter song from the 30's or 40's called "Don't Fence Me In." They did this "cover" specifically for the commercial and it absolutely rocks. Now if anyone could tell me where to find an mp3 of the song, let me know. (I've already tried KaZaa.) Reply to [email protected]. Much appreciated.

PS - I found a QuickTime video of the commercial on KaZaa. No luck with the mp3 yet.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Check out this interview:

Splendid: Did you sell a song to Nike?

Sammy: No, we did not sell a song to Nike. Nike commissioned us to do our interpretation of an amazing Cole Porter song. And we were very excited to do that because I love the song and when we read the treatment of the commercial, it was this great celebration of New York City, and the spirit of New York, and we were really psyched and inspired to be involved in that.

Splendid: What was the song?

Sammy: "Don't Fence Me In".

Splendid: I haven't seen it. I read about it on some bulletin board. Were you worried about losing credibility?

Sammy: No, I was not worried about losing credibility because if you're going to be at any stage in your career where more than 500 people know who you are, you're not, there's nothing you can do that's going to meet with everybody's approval, so you can't worry about it. It's not like the dark specter of sacrificing your artistic integrity visited us one night with a sickle in its hand and a bag of money in the other. There was this really cool group of creative people coming up with this great idea for a commercial, and they were inspired about it. They got in touch with us. We got inspired about it. We wrote the song and played it for them. They got re-inspired by it. It was a creative project and everybody involved was really into it.

Splendid: Nike always does great ads.

Sammy: Yeah, exactly. Like a Nike ad isn't a commercial. It's in the genre of pop art. Like that one with the athletes warming up to the sound of the orchestra tuning. That was amazing.

What was that song in the Coors Lite commerical?

Post by Guest »

never seen that
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: What was that song in the Coors Lite commerical?

Post by Jake »

Anonymous wrote:What was that song in the Coors Lite commerical?
"Young Man's Mind." They're playing it in a bar in the ad.