Am I Getting Old?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:44 pm

russ wrote:alot of the hit music of today would NOT make it.

Who cares about the hit music of today?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Russ, no opposition from me. You're spot on, lad. Serendipity stepped in for me the other night after work exposing me to a really beautiful video for Broken Social Scene (title?) on Bravo. B/W surrounded by coloured animation. A happy surprise.

Jonas, we're all old, but that doesn't make us wrong. We just have perspective. I look around and see kids get silly over a band/look that I remember seeing/wearing decades ago. I step back and let them have their fun. There's lots enough good new music that isn't derivative (as you know) that I shan't trouble myself with the stuff that is.

What I DO find "derivative" are the old fucking geezers trotting out to make a buck on the old when they have nothing new to contribute.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:59 pm

jonas wrote:
Ryan Adams.

And derivative isn't the same as evolutionary.

Hey, I'm a decent amount younger than you and feel the same way about Ryan Adams. No matter what your age there's going to be artists that just don't do it for you, though plenty of people rave about them.
Last edited by anothermonkey on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Yeah, jonas, I'm older than you but I'm still digging new bands and artists even though my 'golden age' was the 80's (the Mats, Husker Du, etc.). I still like the old stuff, but I've found a lot of great new bands out there - currently getting heavy rotation is Iron & Wine, The Decemberists, The Soviettes and our own Riviera.

Definitely some derivative stuff out there, but it all depends on how good it is. If it's really well-done, I don't care if Big Star did it 25 years ago. Besides, everyone's just ripping off Screamin' Jay Hawkins, right? What I really can't stand are those nu-metal bands - talk about being derivative with nothing new to add. Oy...

The old and the new, it's all good. Or crap. No reason for us geezy folks can't have some fun, too.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:01 pm

If you feel old, you should go visit an old folks' home cause that'll make you feel young.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:10 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:If it's really well-done, I don't care if Big Star did it 25 years ago.

Who were just ripping off the Beatles, who suck anyway.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Funny, Lep.

I think age is a factor, and I think that's natural. Fer'instance, my interest in metal waned about the time I turned 22 or 23. Death metal, grindcore, black metal, nu metal.... it doesn't really do anything for me, but I also think it's not being made for me. I'm just not that pissed off anymore.... cranky, maybe, but not all that pissed off all the time. I don't worry too much about it, though. I have a ton of music, new and old, that I love a lot. I give new stuff a listen, and if I like it, it becomes part of the legion of stuff I listen to. If it doesn't do anything for me, I don't sweat it too much or worry about the generational divide. I just move on to the next thing I haven't checked out yet.

For the record, I just turned 39 about 3 weeks ago, so in this day and age, I'm certainly not "OLD", but that is definitely middle age knockin' at the door if my expected lifespan is in the 78 year range. But that's bullshit as far as my ability to discover or enjoy music goes. I hope I'm still curious about new shit when I'm 78... in fact, I'm gonna make a point of being curious about it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:08 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:If you feel old, you should go visit an old folks' home cause that'll make you feel young.

That will make me feel DOOMED!

jaimoe0 wrote:I hope I'm still curious about new shit when I'm 78... in fact, I'm gonna make a point of being curious about it.

I'm seeing some white haired old guy, slightly bent, glasses, converse moving slowly in a High Fidelity record shop and threatening the staff with his cane :)

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:02 am

miss carol wrote:
I'm seeing some white haired old guy ...

Sadly, I will never develop the silvery mane of hair.... owing to the current lack of a mane of hair.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:05 am

i dunno about feeling all "old" (altho i did just turn 30 a few months ago... where's my walker?) but i have, in the last couple of years, stopped being so concerned about every hot new band to come down the road... after a couple of years spent overdosing on slow and spacy, a couple spent on shibuya-kei and tortoise side projects, and a couple of years spent glitching out on idm and experimental techno stuff, i'm just starting to know what really turns my crank,(happens to be regular, old fashioned, meat and potatoes rock&roll and power pop) and i've been buying/listening to that... i read an interview with frank black a couple of years ago where he said something to the effect of, "the good stuff stays good, and it will be there in a couple of years when i get around to listening to it." that advice, coupled with being burned by a couple of "hot new bands" (i'm looking at you the rapture... you too kings of leon...) has me willing to wait a bit to see if there's substance behind the hype... i have however, taken a couple of chances on some new stuff lately (mostly thanks to this board) and it's paid off... that new andrew bird cd has barely left my player (thanks nbg!) and i'm liking the arcade fire... (not life changing or anything, but a solid album...) so in conclusion, don't let no punk ass kids tell you what's good... you already know...

Return to “Rants and Raves”