Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey all - I'm really sorry I haven't sent my discs yet. My computer with all my music has been acting up, and I'm in the process of fixing it. The mix is all made, so as soon as it's up and running, I'll have the mixes on their way!

Thanks,
Patrick

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Alias wrote:and mister roschke, do you know your name sounds like a psych test, awesome choice of art work (I've seen this picture somewhere but not sure where) and title, totally apropos, will totally admit not familar with like 90% of the artists, thus far you have broaden my horizion, my favorite song is the Irma Thomas one...

Guess I should have included my board name on the packaging- much easier to dechipher than my real name. Ah well, live and learn. Really digging n8's mix- some of it familiar faves, but much falling into the large "heard of but haven't heard" category. Good stuff! Looking forward to getting my mitts on the others.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:57 pm

GREAT job on the mix SlangKing - it's thouroughly bitchin'.
Out of the 22 artists on here, I'm familiar with 12 of them, but only own records by 2 of those 12. Great balance of the familiar and unfamiliar for me.
I'm really digging this Spinanes song...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:07 pm

I'm thoroughly diggin' the mixes I've gotten and have had a chance to listen to. SlangKing, I gotta do a little research on the classic R&B guys you threw on your disc. I'm a Stax/Volt/Hi kinda guy, and I dig when decent folk like you expand my dusty-groove education!!

Oh, BTW, my mix discs got sent out today.
BAD DISC ALERT: I am having spotty luck with some of the discs in this batch of Memorex blanks. Should anyone get crap disc, let me know; I'll gladly burn you a fresh one.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:32 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Oh, BTW, my mix discs got sent out today.
BAD DISC ALERT: I am having spotty luck with some of the discs in this batch of Memorex blanks. Should anyone get crap disc, let me know; I'll gladly burn you a fresh one.

FYI-
If you're having trouble with bad disc after burning, try burning at a slower speed. 16x speed will usually avoid most bad disc errors.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:24 pm

'`
'`

Dropped mine in the mail on Saturday.

'`
'`

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:37 pm

I can safely say DJ Murphy rules the mix exchange genre, holy crap dude! talk about going far and beyond 150% anal :)

it would've been so on if you were in any of my creative classes, my arch nemesis to the core, I mean seriously this is the only succulent aspect of attending school, peppy competition...

absolutely heart the little personal touches to each song, my favorite is the Rolling Stones excerpt "Mick, you ignorant slut" bahaha, totally had me sniggering tiggering for hours and the comedy slices, nice little red bow touches...over all its growing on me the song selections, quite a few moments of "Vitamade? "The Smoothies"? who in the heck are they?

you, like SlangKing, have totally opened my mind to so many bands I've neglected to explore...I totally did listen to it from top to bottom, and as weird as this may sound kinda felt like I was reading an exceprt from your auto-bio, you know DJ Murphy's "Stand By Me"...

so when should I expect Issue II ;)

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:42 pm

My mailbox was stuffed today with mixes from Alias, Murph, and Chris G. My mailman must think I'm hot shit or something getting all this cool stuff in the mail. Well, I won't tell him the truth if you won't.

But I must say I kind of feel like a chump for my crappy artwork (or lack of). You guys really went all out.

Alias: I thought I was the only one on this board that liked Ladytron, so good call on that one. Their new album is sweet. I love the slightly schizophrenic artwork too. It's a good transition for me, as putting my mix together required several days of plowing through nothing but sad bastard music. It's a refreshing change.

Chris: After seeing your countless ipod playlist posts, I was definitely expecting a thorough and pretty awesome mix. Definitely did not disappoint. And I knew you'd pull something totally random like Foetus too. Nice.

Murph: I'm really picturing that your CD collection must take up a small warehouse. And I love the little tidbits that came with every song. They give me something to read while I'm listening to the song, almost like mix CD liner notes. I tried doing that for a past mix, putting in some little-known fact about each song, but I just couldn't pull it all together. Nice to see it can be done.

So thanks, people. Christmas came early this year, can't wait to hear the remaining CD's.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:14 am

'`'`

So far I have collections from Alias, n8, SlangKing and steve-o loaded onto the iPod.

I've only just skimmed them, but all are very delectable, singling out a few tracks here and there for a full listening. I've listened to SlangKing's Jeff Thomas track a few time. Now that they are on my iPod, I will listen to all of them in more detail over the course of the next couple of days.

steve-o wrote:Chris: After seeing your countless ipod playlist posts, I was definitely expecting a thorough and pretty awesome mix. Definitely did not disappoint. And I knew you'd pull something totally random like Foetus too. Nice.

Thank you.

Last time around, I did a 3 CD collection, and that was much easier. I just put all the "Girlie Rock" songs into a folder, saw how many CDs it needed, left them in the iTunes alpha-listing order, and burned them.

For this collection I had to really work at the edit- what songs, what order? Slow build, gain momentum, rock hard, crescendo, then wind back down.

'`'`

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:17 pm

DJMurphy wrote:SlangKing, I gotta do a little research on the classic R&B guys you threw on your disc. I'm a Stax/Volt/Hi kinda guy, and I dig when decent folk like you expand my dusty-groove education!!

If anyone likes that Howard Tate track in the least, you would do yourself a favor to try and grab the reissue while Hip-O-Select still has some in stock. It's first rate 60s soul.

I'm really impressed with all of the mixes! Steve-o and n8's mixes have served me up some great indie. Alias, aside from the Ladytron and Depeche Mode it's all new to me. I always like the things that go beep in the night- but never quite know what to get. And DJ Murphy- I love yours, my friend liked to break out the Rappin' Rodney record every once in awhile during one of our drunken record listening sessions. Great mix- a smidgen of the familiar and a lot of stuff I wish I was more familiar with!

Return to “Rants and Raves”