Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:26 pm

steve-o wrote: I thought I was the only one on this board that liked Ladytron, so good call on that one. Their new album is sweet.

I was hooked on Ladytron the moment I heard "Seventeen" (still my absolute fav Ladytron song) a few years ago from their LM album, plus I was wicked envious of Helen's short haircut at the time and use to wish something fierce I could pull it off for more than two days

I love the slightly schizophrenic artwork too.

ahaha! compared to the other one, it's forgettably tame, thanks...

can't wait to get my mitts on Chris's mix, should be waiting for me when I get to my pixie abode

SlangKing you should listen to some Miss Kittin, I think you would totally like her...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:30 pm

Alias wrote:I can safely say DJ Murphy rules the mix exchange genre, holy crap dude! talk about going far and beyond 150% anal :)
<snip>
so when should I expect Issue II ;)

Wow, you're way too kind!! That comment made my day, Alias. You ought to be proud of your mix, too, Alias. I found myself liking quite a few of the cuts, stuff I never would have guessed I'd like. That Kaskade song stuck with me. And the packaging was pretty damn cool; did you do that thread by hand, or was that a sewing machine?

steve-o wrote:Murph: I'm really picturing that your CD collection must take up a small warehouse. And I love the little tidbits that came with every song. They give me something to read while I'm listening to the song, almost like mix CD liner notes. I tried doing that for a past mix, putting in some little-known fact about each song, but I just couldn't pull it all together. Nice to see it can be done.

Again, thanks!! It's cool to see it's appreciated. The folded 8.5x11 page was the only format that fit the images as large as I wanted to go. If I could have found a way to fit all that into a 4 3/4" square booklet, I would have.

And my CD/music collection, while larger than some, I'm guessing is also smaller than some of the folks' here. I've got around 1250 CDs, 300 LPs, 300 45's/7"ers, maybe 150 cassettes, and bits and pieces here and there as far as other formats (DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, mp3, 8-track, radio station cartridge, reel-to-reel, etc.). My wife knew my music fanaticism when she married me, and still decided to marry me, strangely enough.

So far, I've gotten mixes from Alias, SlangKing, n8, steve-o, and (just today) Chris G and Chris D. Aside from the last two (which I haven't had a chance to listen to yet), I'm really digging all of them. With our local radio entertainment talk guys (Brandmeier and Dahl) in reruns this week, it's given me a lot of time to listen to all the mix CDs coming down the pike. I'd second the "Christmas came early" sentiments. And n8, I'm really surprised how many points of intersection yours and mine tastes are; I really found myself saying "Damn, that's good! I gotta check out more of that stuff" while listening to your disc. Great stuff, all of you!! Take a bow...

Looking forward to completing my collection of discs... :-)

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:18 pm

k, who freckin frackin created "There's No Antidote" think I made a mistake of epic proportions not once, but twice, k, maybe not that drama filled, but still wanna know so I can send PM to right person, darn it...

thought it was Chris G. but obviously wrong cuz I received his CD this weekend, which by the way Chris, its quite an experience, still digesting that little sucker, love the Kills selection and is the barbie from your own personal collection...

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:34 pm

I think I'm still missing two mixes.
Anyone else?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:38 pm

I got "There's no antidote", which I believe was from Donaldson, and is a very kickass mix. It reminded me that I need to find more stuff by the Tears.

So to date, I have gotten mixes from

n8
DJ Murphy
Chris G
Alias
SlangKing
Donaldson

And I kept a copy of mine for myself, so that makes seven total.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:57 pm

steve-o wrote:I got "There's no antidote", which I believe was from Donaldson, and is a very kickass mix. It reminded me that I need to find more stuff by the Tears.

n8
DJ Murphy
Chris G
Alias
SlangKing
Donaldson

Okay, you're in the same boat as me. We need two more.
Let's see...

jaimoe0
and
<b>redfieldp</b>

You guys are on the spot!

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:24 pm

n8 wrote:
steve-o wrote:I got "There's no antidote", which I believe was from Donaldson, and is a very kickass mix. It reminded me that I need to find more stuff by the Tears.

n8
DJ Murphy
Chris G
Alias
SlangKing
Donaldson

Okay, you're in the same boat as me. We need two more.
Let's see...

jaimoe0
and
<b>redfieldp</b>

You guys are on the spot!

Hey guys, don't drop the ball. We're so close to making this a success!!

And here's a thought:

Do you all want to make some GloNo mixtape exchange awards?

The honors would be something like:
Best sequencing
Best artwork
Best variety
Most rare tracks
Best overall

Or would that draw the attention away from sharing awesome music and putting together personalized mixes, and toward competition? I don't want that to happen for future GloNo mix exhanges.

What are your thoughts??

andreaj

mix tape queen

Postby andreaj » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm

am i
i am in

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:40 pm

sorry, too late :(

this one's about wrapped up

you'll have wait until the next one...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:55 pm

I dunno, I think "awards" would put a slightly negative patina on it. I think each of our MixCDs oughta just be taken for what it is, a self-contained thing of beauty. To go all Stuart Smalley on y'all's asses, to compare is to despair.

Return to “Rants and Raves”