New CDs = Love or maybe just like? 2006 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:08 pm

I split this topic off into a new thread for 2006. Here's the old one if you're interested.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:57 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:
blackshoestring wrote:Neko Case - Fox Confessor

How are you liking this one, BSS?

I'm really loving it. Oddly enough, it acted as sort of a soundtrack to a recent trip to Hawaii - shimmering gold reverb, intimate remoteness (if there is such a thing). "A dreamy, creamy half-hour butterscotch lozenge" would be my official candy comparison.

I'm afraid she is on the brink of household nameness with this one, but rightfully so.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm

Maarten wrote:i bought liars' 'drum's not dead' last week, which i like so much that i felt like looking up this thread.

man I can't stand that CD. I loved the first one, but this one drives me nuts and to sleep at the same tme. Such high hopes, to.

I love the new YYY CD so far.
Got the CD for Dave Chapelles's Block Party soundtrack... good but it doesn't have all the songs from the movie, which is too bad.
Really digging the Jenny Lewis/Watson twins disc.
Love the new Hot Chip.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm

blackshoestring wrote:I'm afraid she is on the brink of household nameness with this one, but rightfully so.

I have to disagree. I attended the CD preview gig in Toronto in Dec/Jan. Although it was sold out (small room), there were people outside asking who she was. Unless she pulls a "Liz Phair," I don't think Neko Case will be mainstream enough (read: watered down and air brushed) to be a household name. Household name, to me at lease, sounds more like Hilary Duff or Missy Elliot. Not that Case doesn't DESERVE the accolades, but talent rarely is awarded thus.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:25 pm

amighty wrote:
Maarten wrote:i bought liars' 'drum's not dead' last week, which i like so much that i felt like looking up this thread.

man I can't stand that CD. I loved the first one, but this one drives me nuts and to sleep at the same tme. Such high hopes, to.

really? wow. it's very different from 'they threw us all in a trench..', that's for sure, maybe that's where your dissapointment lies? i think it's quite hypnotizing and very pretty, like stepping into a different world. maybe if you gave it another try?
also i'm very much looking forward to hearing the new YYYcd

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:28 pm

miss carol wrote:
blackshoestring wrote:I'm afraid she is on the brink of household nameness with this one, but rightfully so.

I have to disagree. I attended the CD preview gig in Toronto in Dec/Jan. Although it was sold out (small room), there were people outside asking who she was. Unless she pulls a "Liz Phair," I don't think Neko Case will be mainstream enough (read: watered down and air brushed) to be a household name. Household name, to me at lease, sounds more like Hilary Duff or Missy Elliot. Not that Case doesn't DESERVE the accolades, but talent rarely is awarded thus.

You are probably right, but I mean household name the likes of Norah Jones and the White Stripes (not comparing the music to these whatsoever). Then again, I thought she was going to be huge with Furnace Room.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:23 pm

blackshoestring wrote:
jaimoe0 wrote:
blackshoestring wrote:Neko Case - Fox Confessor

How are you liking this one, BSS?

I'm really loving it. Oddly enough, it acted as sort of a soundtrack to a recent trip to Hawaii - shimmering gold reverb, intimate remoteness (if there is such a thing). "A dreamy, creamy half-hour butterscotch lozenge" would be my official candy comparison.

I'm afraid she is on the brink of household nameness with this one, but rightfully so.

Whatever, you had me at "shimmering gold reverb." I'll need to pick that up.

And I know I'm late to the party on this one (again), but I bought Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures, and really...really just an amazing album.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm

steve-o wrote:
Whatever, you had me at "shimmering gold reverb." I'll need to pick that up.

And I know I'm late to the party on this one (again), but I bought Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures, and really...really just an amazing album.

That was a nice line. I'll have to remember it and pick up the Neko Case album too.
The Rogue Wave one was one of my favorites from last year. Nice purchase, regardless of the date.
The new Jenny Lewis is a nice surprise. I'm liking it and I like the way she looks, so if anyone has an idea of how I can get her to have sex with me, please advise.
Fellow GloNo'ers, rate the following that are currently one Worp's radar screen:
Sunn 0)))-"Black One"
Film School-"Film School"
Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3-"Tick...Tick...Tick"
Sting-"Dream Of The Blue Turtles"

Just kidding about the Sting album.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 am

worpswede wrote:
Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3-"Tick...Tick...Tick"

New Steve Wynn? How did I miss that coming out? I was listening to Static Transmission on the drive to work this morning and loving it. What do you think of Tick...Tick...Tick?

Ooops totally misread that. If anyone's heard it, I'd be interested too.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:31 am

Maarten wrote:
amighty wrote:

really? wow. it's very different from 'they threw us all in a trench..', that's for sure, maybe that's where your dissapointment lies? i think it's quite hypnotizing and very pretty, like stepping into a different world. maybe if you gave it another try?
also i'm very much looking forward to hearing the new YYYcd

I know, I had a big "argument" with people over at audioscrobbler about this... I've tried it a couple of times but it just doesn't work for me. I had all kinds of clever ways to describe how crappy it is, but what's the point, people seem to love it. I wondered for a while if I had even downloaded the right thing.

The new YYY cd, howere, is great. "Phenemena" blew me away when I heard it, and "Gold Lion" has moved to the top of my chart. It's even better produced than the last album, and at first I thought it had even less of what I liked about the EP. I just know that they're gonna take these songs and rock them live when they get back to NYC.

Return to “Rants and Raves”