RE: The relevance of R.E.M.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 am

worpswede wrote:1986 was indeed a very good year for music. Here's a list of some of the best from the top of my head

Those bottom-feeding fuckers at VH1 should reference your list the next time they're compiling some lame "We Totally Love the Bitchin' 80s!" show (in an alternate universe, of course).

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:41 am

Jake wrote:Those bottom-feeding fuckers at VH1 should reference your list the next time they're compiling some lame "We Totally Love the Bitchin' 80s!" show (in an alternate universe, of course).

I could tell them the true story of how, after a night of consuming LSD, I did an oral interpretation of Sonic Youth's "In The Kingdom #19" (from 'Evol') in front of a speech class. I got docked a grade for not making enough eye contact with the audience. Little did the professor know that it was because I was scared the faces in the audience would turn into skulls thanks to the residual effects of the hallucinogens. Good times...

"I never gave a damn about the meter-man until I was a man who had to read the meters, man."

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:53 am

Back to REM... (and I'm over 30)

This is hard for me, because I'm an Athens boy. They are, of course, given God-like reverence in this town (and to their credit, they are still intensely active in social and charitable organizations in Athens, often with little or no fanfare.) It goes without saying that REM and their music played an integral part in my musical and social development.

But, yeah, they should have let it go after "Hi-Fi", which is a CD I still really enjoy. How awesome would it have been to end their career with the gorgeous "Electrolyte" and Stipe's a capella "I'm outta here..."?

Their problem now as I see it is simple - no hooks! The CDs (and I have them all, post "Hi-Fi") have a sameness to them, a mid-tempo, boring bland, hookless...blah to them. The songs are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Having said that, though, they do have some nice singles from the post "Hi-Fi" era: "Daysleeper", "Leaving New York" and "Imitation of Life" immediately come to mind.

Barring, those, yeah, it's depressing to see thier lost quality and relevance. As I mentioned earlier, though, they will ALWAYS be heroes in Athens, not only for what they've done in the past, but how they continue to serve the town.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 pm

I am a massive, massive fan of their early stuff, especially Fables--there is just something so "other" about that record. Like many of you Lifes Rich Pageant and "Fall on Me" was my gateway, so I was just a little late to the party. I'm sure it changed my life. They were THE band for me. I remember being super disheartened when Green came out. In fact, I was a true fanatic until Document. Document is an excellent record, but I have to think their moving to a more clarified sound was sort of against what I loved about them to begin with--the mystery.

I've loved a lot of their songs up through New Adventures, but Automatic for the Peabo was their only solid album since Document. I haven't heard their last three records but the songs I have heard from them were lame as hell.

I have to blame Stipe. There was a point when Stipe actually was "relevant." It's precisely when he started to believe he was relevant that the shark was jumped.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:15 pm

I remember hearing "Orange Crush" on the radio for the first time and thinking how cool and incredible it was that a mainstream, commerical radio station was playing REM! Isn't that funny (in retorspect)?

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:23 pm

Jake wrote:I remember hearing "Orange Crush" on the radio for the first time and thinking how cool and incredible it was that a mainstream, commerical radio station was playing REM! Isn't that funny (in retorspect)?

I remember that, too, and it's still an anomaly. But you know, just hearing "Man on the Moon" on the radio is truly mindblowing, if you think about it. For radio, that is one hell of a strange song. My favorite part is after the line "Mr. Andy Kaufman's gone wrestling" when the back up vocal repeats "wrestling." That is some weird and wonderful shit right there!

What's great about the pop R.E.M. is what used to be great about radio--when a song could be about anything.

Fester Von Zesterberg
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Fester Von Zesterberg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:03 pm

After my son Fester was eaten by a grizzly I listened to South Central Rain over and over again for a week.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Fester Von Zesterberg wrote:After my son Fester was eaten by a grizzly I listened to South Central Rain over and over again for a week.

That is my favorite REM song.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:41 pm

Fester Von Zesterberg wrote:After my son Fester was eaten by a grizzly I listened to South Central Rain over and over again for a week.

We're tired of hearing about your goddamn grizzly lovin' son. Stop bitching, pussy. Good grieving music, though.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:30 pm

So this seems pretty topical.... look what rbally just posted:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... 1761103844

it's a full appearance on WLIR from 1984 in.mp3

I'm still downloading it so I can't vouch for the audio quality, but if it's half of what it should be it'll give you under 30's a taste of what REM embodied back then. WLIR was the best station in New York for alternative music, an indellible part of youth culture in the 80's, and kinda rocking.

Return to “Rants and Raves”