The Devil and Daniel Johnston

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

jaimoe0 wrote:
You mean it's an action-packed thrill ride?
Absolutely! With guest appearances by 3/4 of Sonic Youth, and some of Half Japanese as well! And the soundtrack is...is...um...otherworldly! That's the word I was looking for - other-freakin'-worldly!

I wasn't kidding about the plane crash.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Watched the last hour of this on Sundance last night. Wow. The plane crash thing was pretty intense. Hid poor dad. You could tell he was super proud of him that night ("He was a star!"), and still so freaked out about the crash. Dang. I guess I didn't really realize he was that mentally ill. Poor guy. Needs to stay on his meds. Yipes.

I was introduced to his music by the Dead Milkmen who covered "Rocketship" on Bucky Fellini back in 1987. Because I was a dopey kid, I never bothered to research the songwriter. I don't think I ever heard his music until the Kids soundtrack in 1995. Still only have the handful of tracks I nabbed from Napster back in the day.

Is there a solid, must-have album?

I just checked out his website. He has an iPhone app. Awesome.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

Jake wrote:Watched the last hour of this on Sundance last night. Wow. The plane crash thing was pretty intense. Hid poor dad. You could tell he was super proud of him that night ("He was a star!"), and still so freaked out about the crash. Dang. I guess I didn't really realize he was that mentally ill. Poor guy. Needs to stay on his meds. Yipes.
Yes. Even though you realize early on that he's messed up, by that part of the movie you've grown a little used to his craziness (in fact, it's a little endearing by that point), and then bang! comes the plane crash, and you think "holy fuck, he's crazy."
Is there a solid, must-have album?
With 21 songs, Welcome to My World has about everything. And while I know you don't love iTunes, you can buy it there at $9.99 and for once not worry so much about loss of fidelity.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Saw him in Austin a couple of years ago, and it was a suitably bizarre affair. You could tell his band - and the audience - were really pulling for him. You could also tell that he is a pretty ill guy trying to hold it together. The performance was hit and miss. He was way off on some songs, struggling to hit notes and find the melody; others were heartbreakingly gorgeous. Wonder how he is doing now as a live act.
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

Am I the only one who feels that for the last twenty years now he's been taken for a ride? Admittedly, I cannot get into his stuff and maybe it's my bleeding heart that suggests people put his infammy ahead of his mental health. I mean Steve Shelly? What the fuck, dude? You bring a crazy dude to NYC and then figure out you can't control him?! And this marks twice now where Gibby Haynes has been involved with (or suggested) that he's slipped someone acid who is already struggling with reality on his own. He denies it, but Gibby ran with some unsavory cats who probably didn't have the "moral highground" that he'd like us all to believe that he has. The Fucker video taped Daniel going through a clearly unstable period like it was some kind of neat trinket. I think anyone else would try to level out the dude and get him some help if they truly cared. Not Gibby. It was all some kind of science project where he could fuck around with a guy who has schizophrenia.
Obviously, my little rant here also points out that it's a really good movie.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Who's the other person he (allegedly) slipped acid to? I can't understand how anybody could do that to someone. So fucked up.

I missed that part in the movie though. I came in where Daniel is lost in NYC.
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

Jake wrote:Who's the other person he (allegedly) slipped acid to? I can't understand how anybody could do that to someone. So fucked up.
Just ignore me. I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought I remembered, but can't put it together now. I want to say Roky Erickson, but I think I'm totally wrong there.

Post by Guest »

Give me a break.

There are solid, fantastic reasons to not like Gibby Haynes - but accusing him of slipping acid to Daniel Johnston is not one of them.

I lived in Austin in the 80s. Acid was everywhere. Daniel Johnston was everywhere. The two crossed paths many times, I'm sure.

Butthole Surfers shows at Liberty Lunch were packed events that everyone came out of the woodworks for. A lot of the crowd was tripping. And suffice to say no one in the band offered me acid beforehand. They didn't have to. It was everywhere and a lot of people felt like they "had" to trip to Butthole Surfers show (not me, I never thought acid and looking at car wreck films were a good match).

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I believe it states that Daniel took acid while at a Butthole Surfers show - not slipped some acid.

The interviewer asks Gibby seemingly out of the blue, "Did you give him acid?". The phrasing of the question was akin to, "Have you stopped beating you wife?"

Gibby looks surprised that we was even asked such a thing, but he laughs it off, says no and points out that acid is really the last thing some in Daniel's condition needs to be experimenting with.

I presume you saw this scene, yet you're trashing Gibby over it? What did he do other than answer a question propped up by the director.

Now you're linking Gibby to Roky Erickson's schizophrenia and acid use? Even tho Gibby was probably about 5 years old when the Elevators were playing, hey sure, I'll run with that.

I will grant you that Gibby is a madman, tho. So knowing that Gibby DID live in Dallas, it's safe to assume he shot Kennedy as well.
King Coffey

A break was given.

Post by King Coffey »

Anonymous wrote:Give me a break.

There are solid, fantastic reasons to not like Gibby Haynes - but accusing him of slipping acid to Daniel Johnston is not one of them.
worpswede wrote:Just ignore me. I don't know what I'm talking about.
I think he already beat you to your reply.
Don Brewer Dog

Post by Don Brewer Dog »

Gibby was around Roky in the mid 80's for a show. Roky looked scared.