Let's play a little game I like to call...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Let's play a little game I like to call...

Postby Dawg » Thu May 24, 2007 9:42 pm

"Metal / Not Metal". I will present some bands and we argue about whether or not they should be considered "Metal". Easy, right?

Let's start with these:

1) AC/DC

2) Led Zeppelin

3) Guns & Roses

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

No, No, No.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Thu May 24, 2007 11:02 pm

Probably No, No, No...

But it's all Rock-N-Roll, anyway.

AC/DC and Led Zeppelin came before the 80s, and influenced 80s metal, but were hard-rock and classic rock.

Guns & Roses came at the close of the 80s, were really a decade closing and early 90s phenomenon... bringing metal full circle, back to its roots in classic-rock/hard rock... more like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

It would be harder to do this with bands that made their name in the heart of the 80s. You've carefully chosen from the bookends.

At the end of the day, it's all Rock-N-Roll.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri May 25, 2007 2:47 am

Jesus Christ, you guys, you're gonna have Jake come on here quoting Billy Joel again. I just won't be able to take it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri May 25, 2007 8:21 am

AC/DC: Yes
Led Zep: No
Guns n Roses: No, more hard rock.

I suspect people are going to compare Zep to say Metallica or King Diamond, which isn't fair. How about this: Zep and Black Sabbath. Both are more or less from the same era, have some of the same influences. In which case,

No
Yes

This matches my previous conclusion.

I really need another cup of coffee...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 am

I cheated: I went to Wikipedia, mainly because I remember hearing that the term was coined by William S. Burroughs back in the 60s.

The article's timeline pretty much makes sense: that bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple were pretty much the first pure metal bands, while Led Zeppelin was more like proto-metal.

So with that out of the way: Pat Boone? Metal or not metal?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri May 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I"m gonna go no, no, no. G'NR could ever so vaguely be termed "hair metal", but seeing as how that subgenre included Def Leppard and Motley Crue, you can't really call it metal at all. Led Zep was an influence on metal, but weren't ever really metal themselves. Besides, if you're gonna call Zep metal, you're gonna have to call The Who's Live At Leeds metal, and as cool as all that music is, it ain't really metal to this amateur music philosophizer.

I'd call Black Sabbath metal.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri May 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Some sort of Teutonic/Satanic/Martial/Caucasian line must be crossed for music to turn from "hard rock" to heavy metal. It is almost as if the blues must be masked or erased from the music.

AC/DC, Zeppelin, and GnR don't cross that line. Their music is mainly in the hips and root chakra; they make you boogie a bit.

Once that impulse is removed from the crotch and travels upward, it causes a dangerous buildup of hormones by squeezing off the pituitary gland. This condition can only be relieved by vigorous nodding or "headbanging" while attending rock shows where the makeup of the audience is 99.4% male, all furiously banging their heads to relieve that hormonal buildup. "Homeostasis," indeed.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri May 25, 2007 7:21 pm

Probably No, No, No...

But it's all Rock-N-Roll, anyway.

AC/DC and Led Zeppelin came before the 80s, and influenced 80s metal, but were hard-rock and classic rock.

Guns & Roses came at the close of the 80s, were really a decade closing and early 90s phenomenon... bringing metal full circle, back to its roots in classic-rock/hard rock... more like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

It would be harder to do this with bands that made their name in the heart of the 80s. You've carefully chosen from the bookends.

At the end of the day, it's all Rock-N-Roll.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat May 26, 2007 11:04 am

If you read contemporary reviews, Cheap Trick and ZZ Top were lumped into the heavy metal bag, so by that criterium... Yes, yes, yes. :)

And anyways, it's still rock and roll to me and Billy Joel.

Return to “Rants and Raves”