How blogs are destroying new bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

How blogs are destroying new bands

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:27 pm

An Idolator Real Talk Special Report: The Black Kids Hype Must Be Stopped:

If they're not killing music, which is sky-is-falling horseshit, then blogs are killing certain bands, mostly indie rock bands, one at a time, by acting like a surrogate network of Lou Pearlmans forcing kids without the chops or songs into the hard-touring, hard-interviewing, hard-pressed-to-come-up-with-material spotlight. And the hosannas heaped on what amounted to middling performances from a group (Black Kids) that should have been third on a five-band bill playing a small bar in a second-tier city feel like people trying to save face, and they're an excellent example of what makes the whole "blog band" enterprise rancid and ridiculous and potentially unstoppable.

A lot of good points.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Sure, but wouldn't we all like to fill the void left by John Peel's death? Don't we love the idea of undiscovered talent? Hype can certainly kill (ask Menswear--"Who?"--exactly), but there are also tons of great bands a handful of people have heard. Imagine if the Sinatras had been touring in the bloggy days?

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:57 pm

"Organic" growth on the part of a band--i.e. getting better and building an audience by touring and recording--is actually denied them when the blog ankle-biters swarm in, unless the band is refusenik enough to extricate themselves from the whole process. And obviously most aren't. And the kind of indie/indie-pop virtues that Black Kids trade on--unskilled but earnest bands playing against the limits of their abilities--have no place in the rather ruthlessly "professionalized" world of insta-attention, where you have to grow-up into a Totally Freakin' Mind-Blowing Band within months, sometimes weeks.

This the paragraph that gets me most about this article.

In all fairness, I haven't heard Black Kids' music so I won't comment on the quality personally, although the article spells it out as charming, maybe, but pretty rough.

On Oct. 2, a band I love called the Most Serene Republic put out a new album. They've been touring Canada relentlessly for the past couple of years on a promising debut and when they released a tour EP last year it showed a huge progression in, well, pretty much every way. The new album Population builds on it more, being a sprawling, sonically dense album with little melodies popping out everywhere...it's clearly the product of a ton of work. A TON. I love it, so I'm not giving an objective opinion, but there it is.

What frustrates me is that this is a band that's definitely put in their time. They've shown clearly that they're taking bounds and leaps forwards in terms of proficiency, and they've got a great new album on their hands. And they've been utterly ignored. I have yet to read a review in a major-ish (think Pitchfork; they reviewed the debut) publication for it even three weeks later.

And the total lack of attention is probably due to the phenomena explained above.

The Most Serene Republic were the first band that were signed to Arts&Crafts that didn't include members of Broken Social Scene, and so they got a bunch of attention for that, initially. They're a big band, seven members, so a bunch of bloggers expecting another Broken Social Scene jumped on tMSR's debut and ripped it apart. They weren't "Totally Freakin' Mind-Blowing" then, so everyone wrote them off. But I think they are now.

....and Black Kids are getting the attention instead. That bothers me.

Basically, what you should be getting from this rant is that the article is pretty good and that you should get Population by the Most Serene Republic. Yep.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:08 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Imagine if the Sinatras had been touring in the bloggy days?

I'm trying to imagine if the Sinatras had toured ever.

infectiousdisease wrote:I have yet to read a review in a major-ish (think Pitchfork; they reviewed the debut) publication for it even three weeks later.

Three weeks? I think you need to learn some patience, young padawan.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm

Before bloggy days, you mean when the days when "fan" was still attached to "zine"? I wrote for a local programme guide/fanzine and covered a lot of local bands, many of whom were crap and had bags of undeserved attitude: little fish, big pond, and no ambition to even try to tour. To be honest, I think bands are killling bands. Sure someone can diss poetic, but the medium makes no difference. Can you play? Can you write songs? Can you get your head out of your ass? Are you having fun? As an audience member, fan, and onetime critic, that all translated into a good and memorable band.

That's all I have time for right now. Self-imposed break is done.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Jake wrote:I'm trying to imagine if the Sinatras had toured ever.

Hmmm...good point.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:50 pm

You don't think that the ridiculously shortened news cycle that the internet (specifically, the blogosphere) has engendered has contributed to this type of too-much-too-soon hype/backlash/burnout? I do.

I used to scoff at the British music scene because of the hype generated by their weekly music papers: NME, Sounds, and Melody Maker all trying to find and create the Next Big Thing. The internet has now made that pace seem glacial.

There have always been big new bands who didn't deserve the hype. But it's getting ridiculous now. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Jake wrote:You don't think that the ridiculously shortened news cycle that the internet (specifically, the blogosphere) has engendered has contributed to this type of too-much-too-soon hype/backlash/burnout? I do.

I used to scoff at the British music scene because of the hype generated by their weekly music papers: NME, Sounds, and Melody Maker all trying to find and create the Next Big Thing. The internet has now made that pace seem glacial.

There have always been big new bands who didn't deserve the hype. But it's getting ridiculous now. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I don't think it's the blogosphere so much as the technology. Because of the ease of recording and distributing music online nowadays, there's a very very small window to get recognized. As infectious mentioned above with Most Serene Republic. The abundance of new music coming out, with the overall trend of increasing ADD, leads to us obsessing over a band for a month and then rarely ever listening to them again. Those bands might be progressing, no one cares because there's a new hit of the minute.

And really, that might be BETTER for the bands than the scenario you envision, Jake. If bands fall out of public eye faster, they can resume actually trying to grow as a band without the bloggy attention.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:24 pm

We'll see how Tapes 'n' Tapes are doing in a couple of years...

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:24 am

Jake wrote:There have always been big new bands who didn't deserve the hype. But it's getting ridiculous now. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I'll take your CYHSY and raise you an Arcade Fire.

Return to “Rants and Raves”