American Idol 7

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

American Idol 7

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:06 pm

So. Who's watching this year? So far, I like Kristy Lee Cook. But then I read this article ('American Idol' Executive Producer Weighs In On Some Contestants' Professional Backgrounds), which pointed out that she (and several others) had been "signed to Arista Nashville and managed by Marty Rendleman, who previously helmed LeAnn Rimes' career." Sure enough: Kristy Lee Signs In Triplicate with Arista, Britney, and BMI. Back in 2001. Huh.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Last edited by Jake on Wed May 14, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:16 pm

So...what's the point again? I thought the show was to find undiscovered talent. Is now just another marketing arm of the Majors?

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:25 pm

and a showcase for portly gentlemen wearing the Princess Leia bikini to get some much needed attention. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:55 pm

D. Phillips wrote:So...what's the point again?

To sell Coca-Cola, Ford and AT&T.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:57 pm

The woman who was bounced after summoning Grace Slick (badly) was yet another example of "reality" TV shows exploiting the mentally ill for our amusement.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am

So what do you think of your top 24?

I was sad to see Josiah go (the kid who lived in his car), but he ought to get picked up by an indie label like Saddle Creek or KRS. He didn't belong on Idol, that's for sure. Had a kind of Colin Meloy voice. So earnest and young and so clearly mentally unstable. Loved him. And I thought his version of "Stand By Me" was cool.
Last edited by Jake on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 am

Also, Carly (Hennessy) Smithson is annoying. And the fact that MCA already spent $2.2 million on her proves she's a loser. Send her home!

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Jake wrote:So what do you think of your top 24?

I was sad to see Josiah go (the kid who lived in his car), but he ought to get picked up by an indie label like Saddle Creek or KRS. He didn't belong on Idol, that's for sure. Had a kind of Colin Meloy voice. So earnest and young and so clearly mentally unstable. Loved him. And I thought his version of "Stand By Me" was cool.

I liked that kid too, but knew he wouldn't make it. Found it strange though that he would just slip in and out of a british accent.

I actually know one of the contestants this year -Michael Johns, the guy from Atlanta. When I lived in Atlanta a few years back, I would go out to the Buckhead bar section and he played at this bar all the time called CJ's Landing. He would play acoustic guitar with this other guy. It was just your typical cheesy cover thing, but it was lots of fun and the guy has a great voice. Met him a few times, he's really nice guy. I think he's got a good shot at winning. Funny when I saw it the other night, and he popped up on the screen...I was like... hey, i know that guy...!

For the women, I really like that Syesha Mercado, good voice and she is smokin hot.

I say bring back Sanjaya! haha

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Jake wrote:Also, Carly (Hennessy) Smithson is annoying. And the fact that MCA already spent $2.2 million on her proves she's a loser. Send her home!

This really bothers me. Probably because my wife and I were duped and I don't like that. We were watching her performance of "Alone" and we both agreed that she nailed it. Now, we find out that she's already had her shot which, from what I understand, would not make her eligible for this show. So how the fuck does she get past the show's producers she's released an album on MCA and been name-checked in a Wall Street Journal article? This smells foul, and she should immediately be sent back home to her circus sideshow tattooed on the face husband.
I found her videoon YouTube (embedding was disabled) which featured her singing about giving a blowjob. It's a pretty shitty song and the video's director has a hard-on for fans.

Return to “Rants and Raves”