Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Sep 24, 2001 9:09 am

So, I've been listening to the new Wilco album quite a bit lately and I've come up with some thoughts. I realize that we've dealt with this at some length already, but I feel the album deserves further analysis.

First of all, I can't believe that Reprise basically threw it away. It's easily Wilco's best effort yet. It's pretty damn hard to "raise the bar" on every successive recording, yet they've managed to do just that. The album sounds fresh and the songs are exciting, yet I still recognize it immediately as Wilco. Plus, there's a depth to the music that should make the album "last" a hell of a long time before I move on to something new.

As for the oft-bandied "but there's no single" criticism, I wonder if anyone at Reprise actually listened to each of the songs individually. I honestly think that "Heavy Metal Drummer" would fit well on any Top 40 playlist, right next to the pop songs of Madonna and Bon Jovi. And "I'm the Man Who Loves You", currently in heavy rotation on GloNo radio, would work as well on any AOR/classic rock station.

What do you all think?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 24, 2001 10:05 am

I agree with 100% of what you wrote, Jeff. I even think "I'm the Man who Loves You" would make a perfect single, especially in the form of a "single edit" with the noisy guitar intro mixed down a little or something.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:58 pm

This is the album that's not "actually" out yet, right? So how might I come across it, I wonder - any suggestions? I'd love to hear it. -J

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:34 pm

Legally? Go to http://www.wilcoweb.com, click on "Road Case" and then follow the links to listen to the streaming feed of the album.

Illegaly? Go download the tracks off http://www.audiogalaxy.com.

Phil
GLONO Team Member

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:07 pm

Sab, I agree. I can't believe Reprise dropped this album. Tweedy said that the band has wittled the list of labels down to seven. Hopefully, something will be out early next year.

Also, Jonathna Richman is opening for half of the west coast tour dates with Mercury Rev opening the other half.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:29 pm

Well, a lot of time has passed since I first posted and to my delight, <i>YHF</i> is still sounding great.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:11 pm

I too still love this album and will have an article about seeing this material performed live soon.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:55 pm

So where's your article. Were you at one of the Riviera shows?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:10 am

Anonymous, the article was posted here. Check it out.

[Updated link, May 2010. -ed.]
Last edited by Jake on Fri May 07, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:10 pm

Thanks! Just found this place recently.

Return to “Rants and Raves”