Liz album???

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

mike

who i work for

Postby mike » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:05 pm

to clear up any confusion i work the front desk of an office building, not for captiol or for liz. when i say that i think liz's new cd is the best of the year i mean it. i actually love the new liz phair cd. i have been a fan since 98 and i am turning 30 next week so i am not some teeny bopper. my taste in music ranges from liz to radiohead to r.e.m. to pink floyd to edie brickell and new bohemians. just wanted to clear some things up.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: who i work for

Postby thousandfold » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:52 pm

mike wrote:my taste in music ranges from liz to radiohead to r.e.m. to pink floyd to edie brickell and new bohemians. just wanted to clear some things up.

Ah, the long and storied career of Edie Brick-- oh wait.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:32 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
I hate it when people misuse the word "literally." No one literally bleeds music.

If they do, we should call the Vatican. I'll bet we'd get on Dateline.

too funny :)

mike

careers in music

Postby mike » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:17 pm

yeah neither edie brickell or the new bohemians have had a long career but that can be partly blamed on mtv and thier label for screwing them. and as far as careers in music go a lot of artists i listen to have either had a fast fading career or a nearly non-existient one. suzanne vega, tracy chapman, the sundays, juliana hatfield, garrison starr, lode, abra moore, patty griffin, billy goat, critters buggin, and rufus wainwright are some exapmles. personally i don't care if edie brickell's career is big or not. although i do find it interesting that for an artist who hasn't had much of a career or many hit singles like edie brickell a label such as uinversal would sign someone like her. which universal did and is putting out her new cd on october 15th according to www.pauseandplay.com ( a great site for news on upcoimng cd releases well into next year). anyway these are just some of my thoughts. no offense mant by any of them.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: careers in music

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:42 pm

mike wrote:anyway these are just some of my thoughts. no offense mant by any of them.

This is charming and refreshing; Mike is one of our more polite posters. The rest of us usually don't give much of a rat's ass if our thoughts offend others!!

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:00 pm

Mike,

You mentioned Patty Griffin... I love her music. She definitely got screwed by her label. Hopefully someday we'll hear the album that never was, Silver Bell.

mike

silver bell

Postby mike » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:44 pm

silver bell? by patty griffin? i have that cd i've been listening to lit for over a year now. great cd. i find most of my music off the internet and theen burn it off onto a cd( i won't be doing that anymore now that i have an ipod). i still buy cds by my favorite artists sometimes even twice. i bought liz phair twice( apromotional copy off of ebay and the actual cd at best buy). and suzanne vega's latest( the u.s release and the u.k. 2 disc imoprt for $30).

Nick da book

Liz?

Postby Nick da book » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:47 pm

What happened to this potty mouth angel?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:31 am

Jake wrote:Week Ending: 7/25/2003 Hot AC Chart
#16: 1,523 total plays

And she even got 439 plays on 40 CHR/Pop stations. I don't really know what "CHR/Pop" means, but I think it's the big time...

Week Ending: 8/8/2003 Hot AC Chart
#13: 1,859 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#47: 763 total plays

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:36 am

Jake wrote:Week Ending: 8/8/2003 Hot AC Chart
#13: 1,859 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#47: 763 total plays

So is that travelling up or down the charts?

I dunno, I'm really conflicted. I've been stewing about whether or not I should buy it. Do I support a formerly great artist formerly from Chicago just because I have hope that she will be great in the future (but in the process buy a glitter-covered turd of a CD during times when my money shouldn't be spent indiscriminately)?

Or do I sit this one out in order to send a message that this kinda crap is *not* cool in the hopes that she gets the message and goes back to being the Liz we all know and love?

Such a tough choice...

Return to “Rants and Raves”