London Calling - 30th Anniversary

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

London Calling - 30th Anniversary

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 am

Fuck. 30 years. I remember buying it on vinyl the year I graduated high school. Holy shit.

30. Fucking. Years. Ago.

Those glorious bastards.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 am

Anybody remember seeing them at the Aragon Ballroom in August, 1982 (Combat Rock tour)? I believe there were two shows; we saw them on Friday the 13th. That date stands out, because the accelerator on my beater stuck on the ride back to Madison -- made for exciting times.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:03 am

In the Fox in the ATL. Probably the most excited I've ever been at a concert. I didn't know much of the story, but I did know that Joe had gone missing earlier, and when I saw he had come back with that Mohawk 'do, I thought, it's over. Can't remember whether I realized Topper had already been dumped. Still, it was a great show. They were all so cool. Still have the T-shirt.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Never got into the Clash until college. Read The Clash: Return of the Last Gang in Town, and really got into them. That book came out in 1995, so I was pretty late to the party. Not as late as some though, ha ha.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 am

Still one of greatest records of all time. It has aged well.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

That Josh B article was cool to read again. I was a bit late to the party, too. I didn't get it until '99 when they remastered their catalog, but I think I bought it and the UK version of the debut, and Give 'Em Enough Rope all within the span of a week (it was a good week). Prior to that, I had owned The Story of the Clash, Vol. 1, so I had an inkling from the LC tracks on there that the full thing was going to be something special... hunch correct.

Does anyone here have the 2CD/1DVD version? Should I spring for it? How's the DVD?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 am

miss carol wrote:Still one of greatest records of all time. It has aged well.

Agreed. One of the few records you can listen straight through and not hear a single weak track.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 am

steve-o wrote:One of the few records you can listen straight through and not hear a single weak track.

Not even "Lost in the Supermarket"? :)

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Jake wrote:Not even "Lost in the Supermarket"? :)

I hope you're joking. Tell me you're joking.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Does anyone here have the 2CD/1DVD version? Should I spring for it? How's the DVD?

The Westway To The World DVD is better and much of the London Calling DVD pulls from similar footage. I'd stick with the remastered budget line disc and get the Westway documentary for better results. The bonus material on the delux edition of London Calling isn't as revalatory as I thought it would be.
And "Lost In The Supermarket" may be one of the weaker tracks on the album, but it's decent enough for me to sing it everytime I find myself looking for items in the grocery store.

Return to “Rants and Raves”