American Idol Season 9

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

American Idol Season 9

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

I watched Boston. I liked the 16 year old girl with all the brothers with Downs Syndrome, and I liked the stoney drummer with two broken wrists. At least I liked their stories -- can't remember their voices, but that barely matters at this stage in the game.

Also: this is kinda funny: Ben Greenman and Sasha Frere-Jones chat while watching Idol.

SFJ: Wait—who is this flustered person in the too-short pink top?

BG: She will be terrible.

SFJ: Why would she get a long intro?

BG: They always do this. She is a loss leader.

SFJ: How cynical do you want to be? How much is planned?

BG: A hundred percent, at least.

Previously: Season 8, Season 7, Season 6 (also), Season 5, Season 4, Season 3 (also, and).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 am

Watched Atlanta. I like the south, but I was realy surprised by all the people who talk like total hillbillies. Happy to see there are still some regional differences in this country.

Mary J. was the most boring, lifeless guest judge I've ever seen. She brought nothing to the table. Nothing.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Not to totally derail the thread, but does anyone remember that "Next Great American Band" or whatever it was called that was on Fox a few years ago? Kind of an American Idol for bands?

They should bring it back. I was kind of disappointed it only lasted a season.

Gittin'Busy With Shawties

Postby Gittin'Busy With Shawties » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh about 10, 12,years ago or so I musta heard this chick named Mary J. Blige and I thought "Hey, this shawtie can wail m'sayin?". I brought up her name to a guy who let's say talked to record guys on the phone every day. He said ,"Mary J. is straight out da ghetto. She's really crass and cusses and says what's on her mind. They gotta watch where they take her. If ya take Mary to a fancy restaurant she might say really loud "this mutha fuckin shit sucks" when referring to the lobster bisque. I guess ten years and lotsa dead presidents have taken a bit of the edge off Mary. But her attitude as an Idol judge wasn't frontin'. Dats just Mary keepin it real. For reals Y'all.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

I'mma be droppin' this bomb. My peeps are blowin' up my phone sayin' American Idol is going hard after Howard Stern to replace Simon. Howard has initially turned the offer down but Idol is not giving up that easy for good reason. Howard would be hilarious at verbally abusing contestants and playing "dirty old man" with young females. Howard has said he probably won't re-uo with Sirius/XM when his contract runs out at the end of this year. Whether he could do both Idol and another radio gig is questionable. Idol requires a lot of time in LA. And Howard is Bite The Big Apple all the way. Don't mind the maggots. Howard has also said he may do nothing. But like Letterman I think he craves the spotlight despite his wealth.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

That would be interesting. Way better than Perez fucking Hilton, whose name I've also seen tossed around. I think Doogie Howser would be good, too, after that audition week guest spot. He was good.

But for the first time since this shit began, I've been missing episodes and not caring. I've pretty much always hated the audition weeks, but I've at least blooped the tivo through them to get to the good stuff. Not this year.

I wonder how Stern would play to regular folks. He's so New York, isn't he? His creepy old man schtick would seem to turn off a lot of middle America... But what do I know? Not much.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Jake wrote:I wonder how Stern would play to regular folks. He's so New York, isn't he? His creepy old man schtick would seem to turn off a lot of middle America... But what do I know? Not much.

yer prawlee right. I was thinking of it from my point of view only. I hate when people do that. And if he had to take the edge off what would be the point? Although Idol is still one of the biggest stages in show biz. After the failure of satelite radio to create a buzz among the masses it would be a great comeback for Howard. I can't see him going out like that...even with the 100 million he stole from Sirius.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: American Idol Season 9

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Jake wrote:I liked the stoney drummer with two broken wrists.

Boo. Voted out the first round! Bummer.

Is this the worst season (talent-wise) ever? I'm shocked by the mediocrity. Shocked!

GLONO Board Maniac

Re: American Idol Season 9

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Jake wrote:Boo. Voted out the first round! Bummer.

Is this the worst season (talent-wise) ever? I'm shocked by the mediocrity. Shocked!

Are you talkin about Tyler the 70's rocker kid? He and the latino crooner kid were the ones voted off. He sang "American Woman get away from me." The song did not put women on a pedestal--even though the lyrics are really about the government. It did not worship at the feet of the woman. It's okay for the woman to break the mans heart. But not okay for the man to say "stay away from me." The man must say " Stay with me. Our love must last forever."

By the way Janell was really juicy like the chick from the bad Marky Mark Planet of the Apes. But she was too pretty with her large supple breasts. My breasts are so small and dorky. Men would pick her over me. So I must vote her off now.

Yep they kept the Asian guy and voted off Tyler.
Just like the Lisa Simpson mag "Non-Threatening Boys."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Sad about Haeley. She had a cute country soul vibe. Oh well.

I like the stoner mom with the dreads and the huge voice now. Might have to start voting for her because I can't really stand anybody else. Plus her name is Crystal Bowersox. That's just awesome.

Actually, looking over the top 24, I kinda like Alex Lambert and Michael Lynche too. And Todrick cracks me up. Katie Stevens is a cute little girl with a kind of impressive voice, but I dunno.

Return to “Rants and Raves”