Scharpling & Wurster

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Scharpling & Wurster

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:06 pm

I mentioned these guys in my "getting old" thread below; they introduced acts at the Matador bash's final night. Tom Scharpling, a DJ for WFMU in NJ/NY is the straight man; Jon Wurster, drummer for Superchunk and others, generally plays some hubristic, delusional tool. Here's them introducing the NP's at the concert--Wurster plays an uppity twitterer from "shovel.com" (get it?). But the radio stuff is even funnier.

They have some comedy albums/MP3sthey've put out of radio bits they've done, always with Wurster calling in as some delusional character. They send up the music biz a lot; I recommend anything "Mother 13" related--hilarious corporate "alternarock" sendup. Also worthy: The Gas Station Dogs, Jock Squad, Postal Slap Fight, Andy from Lake Newbridge.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:18 pm

I love the Scharpling & Wurster stuff!

There's also the Best Show on WFMU on Tuesday nights from 8-11 (Central), which is where all of these bits come from. Took me a few listens to get into it just because it's so long and rambling and it takes a while to get the inside jokes, recognize the regular callers, figure our Scharpling's mood, etc. But I'm totally hooked now. (Also available as a podcast.)

If three hours a week is too much to commit, there's also a "Best Show Gems" podcast, which is just a collection of the Wurster calls.

Return to “Rants and Raves”