Johnny Cash vs Gordon Jenkins vs Little Brother Montgomery

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Johnny Cash vs Gordon Jenkins vs Little Brother Montgomery

Post by Jake » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Audio: Johnny Cash - "Folsom Prison Blues"

Sun Records 232, 1955.

Audio: Gordon Jenkins ft. Beverly Mahr - "Crescent City Blues"

From Seven Dreams, Decca Records, 1953.

Audio: Little Brother Montgomery - "Crescent City Blues"

Bluebird Records B6733, 1936.

I don't think I'd ever heard the Gordon Jenkins version. Fascinating! It's not surprising that after the live version of the song became a hit in 1968, Jenkins sued Cash and reportedly settled for $75,000. But I wonder if Jenkins ever kicked any dough to Little Brother Montgomery, from whom he borrowed the melody. Doubt it.
In a mid-'90s interview with a Canadian magazine, Cash said he heard the Jenkins tune during his Air Force days in Germany. “At the time, I really had no idea I would be a professional recording artist; I wasn’t trying to rip anybody off,” he said.

“So when I later went to Sun to record the song, I told Sam Phillips that I rewrote an old song to make my song, and that was that. Sometime later I met up with Gordon Jenkins and we talked about what had happened, and everything was right.”
--ROBERT HILBURN, Los Angeles Times, AUG. 22, 2006

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Johnny Cash vs Gordon Jenkins vs Little Brother Montgomery

Post by jonas » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:22 pm

It’s really fun to listen to the evolution of that song. I don’t recall hearing of any other issues with Johnny Cash taking songs without attribution, and I’m glad he kicked some money over to at least one of these guys.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Johnny Cash vs Gordon Jenkins vs Little Brother Montgomery

Post by worpswede » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 am

Interesting stuff. I think the compensation to Gordon Jenkins is pretty obvious, but I struggle with the Little Brother Montgomery title-who's melody seems derivative of Jimmie Rodgers' In The Jailhouse Now.