Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by Jake »

I've been in here too long. Whatever happens, whatever happens...

(This is my favorite song on the album, even if it's a little jazzier than I usually prefer.)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Jake wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:41 pm
Update: I was able to successfully return my 13yo's brand new unused lacrosse cleats to Dick's this weekend. Got all my money back, so we bought him a new fishing pole and a pair of shorts. Happy summer! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Update #2. Gotta buy some new cleats.

The governor has lifted restrictions on school sports, so we signed my 13 year old up for a summer lacrosse team. They will not be wearing masks and there is physical contact, but they're outside the whole time and they will be wearing helmets and gloves, so I'm hoping I'm not being an idiot. We'll see, I guess. His first practice is on Wednesday. Wish us luck!

This whole thing is so crazy and frustrating. The most exhausting thing is not having a good, reliable source of information. The CDC guidelines are the best we've got, right? There are so many wackos online spewing so much crap it's hard to figure out what's reasonable. The gist I am getting (and I am certainly not a doctor) is wear a mask when you're out in public, especially inside; wash your hands a lot; and try to stay six feet away from people.

Have any of you been out to eat at a restaurant yet? How did it feel? I am still a little weirded out by it. I don't quite get the science behind the droplets and why it's safe to eat tacos that other people prepare for you and bring to you if it's still not safe to touch your face after you touch groceries and stuff. I'm not being deliberately obtuse; I just just don't get the distinction. Is it just the number of people who might be touching the groceries vs. the tacos? I can see that. Maybe I just talked myself through this...

But yeah, that's me. Hope you're all doing well.

Christian Lee Hutson's new album Beginners is really good and definitely worth checking out, produced by Phoebe Bridgers. And of course RTJ4 is exactly appropriate for the current circumstances.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Week 14?

So I had a dentist appointment this morning. That was weird. Having another person's face 12 inches from my open mouth for a half hour was very strange, even if she was wearing a mask and a shield.

One of my kid's summer camps is back in action, which is also kind of weird. It'll be odd to send him off but he's excited about it. After spending almost three months not seeing anybody in real life other than his parents, in the month of June he's apparently making up for it. Yowza. It's all making me a bit uncomfortable, but I still feel like my governor is making good, science-backed decisions. Hope I'm not being naive. Seems like we're doing alright. We'll see...

Has anybody gone out to eat yet? How'd it feel?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

We went out to eat last night with some friends, for the first time in what must be five or six months. None of the people eating at the restaurant had masks on, obviously, and all the staff there did. It was outside, and the tables had a pretty good distance.

That said, it hadn’t taken long to get baked into my head that being anywhere close to unmasked people is a Bad Thing, and I was uncomfortable the whole time. I guess it’s going to take a while to get over that, even if the virus goes away permanently, or we find a vaccine.

Last night my college boys had two of their friends over to play Magic the Gathering, and they set up big tables in the garage, kept a pretty good distance, and only took the masks off when theIr Chinese food delivery arrived. That seemed to work OK.

My daughter starts as a counselor at horse riding camp next week, that has me more worried, though the owner has been pretty strict about masks, and has raised the minimum age of participation because she doesn’t trust little kids to do what they are supposed to do.

Random question for Jake: you mentioned splitting wood, and I’ve been taking trees down left and right. How long did you have to let it cure? i’ve got a good pile going, and will split it sooner or later.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

jonas wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Random question for Jake: you mentioned splitting wood, and I’ve been taking trees down left and right. How long did you have to let it cure? i’ve got a good pile going, and will split it sooner or later.
I found that the wood that had sat for at least a year was way easier to split than the stuff that I just cut up this spring. I pretty much gave up on the new stuff because it wasn't fun and easy, ha ha. Project for next year!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

Babysat my wife who had the last two wisdom teeth in her mouth removed. My son had all four of his removed at the start of this thing, so our family has contributed a half-dozen teeth during the pandemic.
Like Jake's previous comments, I have no idea what information is real and which ones are tainted. I resent the idea that I'm forced to make very important decisions about the safety of my family without really understanding what it is I'm supposed to be doing. It's like we've done the heavy lifting for however many goddamn months it's been now, only to have local and state governments half-ass everything and dish out murky data and conflicting recommendations. You would think that people would become so frustrated that they'd take to the streets. Oh wait...
My son's best friend is bi-racial and she asked him if he would join her at one of our community's Black Lives Matter protest that has taken place. I told him that this would be a good way to show her how good of a friend he could be and was a good indicator of the man he was becoming. I asked him if he needed me to go with him, but my motivations were selfish. While I most certainly believe in the cause, I was motivated by the fear that something could go terribly wrong. I worried that my son and his friend would be in the middle of something they were not equipped to get out of. I knew that should that be the case, I would have felt terribly guilty watching the news unfold while these two special people were in danger. I ended up going and kept a distance from them, helicoptering in proximity. We met up after the march and protest and I told him that I was proud of him and his decision.
My fear was unfounded as the organizers provided a very effective demonstration. Our local law enforcement and elected officials seemed to take heed; by the time a third protest was being organized, the city announced some major changes to arrest policies and in how we better serve our neighbors of color. And, in a surprising move, a law enforcement officer who killed an unarmed black man in my city two-years ago was fired from the squad. This was unexpected as internal investigations determined the killing was justified and was caught entirely on the officer's body cam. The 3rd protest ended up becoming a celebration and it made this cynical fifty-something a believer in peaceful protests once again.
Our governor has eased social distancing restrictions and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop now. It's hard to measure, but I'd say that at least half or less of the people out and about are wearing masks. Ironically, at least 95% of those at the BLM march were wearing them, even though it was hot and we shoe-leather-expressed that shit for miles. It's like most people have reached a point where they went "It's over!" even while the (reliable) data clearly shows we're not. I'm really hankering for someone to say something smug to them, just on the off-chance that I can use my pent-up aggression to punch them in the mouth.
My job announced mandatory unpaid time off as a means of cost-cutting. So far, it's just restricted to one-week. They've been incredibly good during this entire thing and demonstrated leadership that should have been present in our elected officials. I've had many friends be laid-off or furloughed during the pandemic, so a few days I get to choose to take off without pay could have been worse.
We've continued the carry-out eating model and have yet to venture out into a restaurant. My wife felt guilty at telling her mother she couldn't visit us for so long that she finally broke down and let her come over last weekend. She's from a small town and was one of those who didn't think this was a big deal at all, even though one fucking county over was a meat packing plant with a huuuge infection rate. I just don't understand people. The kids viewed this visit as a chance to ask if they could go hang out with friends again and we gave up and let them. Believe me, I know that I just got done bitching about everyone not taking this seriously only to display the same behavior, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not happy either, getting high listening to Bob Dylan and Miles Davis records in my basement, so I understand the need just to get the fuck out of here and interact. This area Grateful Dead cover band has made plans to go through with this venue opening (perfect timing, I know) in mid-July with tickets restricted to 100. I'm seriously thinking about going, even though it may not be the smartest decision in the world, because I'd like to go to a fucking show at least once this goddamn year and dance for a bit. I'd like to think I've fucking earned it.
Stay alive people! I care about you!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

I just went out to eat at a restaurant for the first time Saturday and thought nothing of it. I'm ready to get back to some sort of normalcy. I've already gone through two new normals after losing my fiancee as well as my mom and was somewhat used to that. Now, it's all upended. Was supposed to go to Disney World during Halloween, but that's been canceled.

I'm getting tired of living in my bubble, seeing the same four walls, and doing the same shit day in/day out. I can't watch the same movies over and over. And I can't buy any more right now. I was handling things ok for a while there, but now I'm over it. I feel so frustrated and trapped. I'm currently on the bus doing my weekly commute to work thinking about this. I've been around people enough that I feel I don't think I'm going to get sick.

Yet we need to be safe and wear our masks to be sure. It's too hot to wear a mask though. It aggravates my heat exhaustion tendencies. I get so hot while I'm out and come home too tired to care. And too tired to do anything worthwhile. I already feel that way without the heat doing it to me as well. Frankly, I'm tired of not living. This hamster wheel going nowhere is enough for me to give up. Sorry for the rant, but this morning has gotten me down for some reason. I need a vacation from my life for a little while. Hope everyone takes care of themselves and hangs in there.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

grounded5am wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:38 am
I was handling things ok for a while there, but now I'm over it. I feel so frustrated and trapped.
Hang in there, g5. You got this. I think we all go through these ups and downs. You've been going through a lot but you make it through this. It sucks. But you can make it through it.

Did you see Michael Stipe on Colbert?

And Fallon?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Dropped my kid (13) off at summer camp yesterday. It was odd but seemed about as safe as could be. They requested that all campers get tested for covid beforehand (my kid was negative; we did an antibody test too while we were there and he was neg for that as well), and had us keep track of his temperature for ten days before dropoff. When we got there all the staff were in masks, parents couldn't get out of the car, they took his temp before letting him out, we waited to get the thumbs up for the lice check, and then we left. Way different from years past where we lugged his bag to his cabin, made his bed for him, took pictures with his counselors, long goodbyes, etc. They'll stick with their cabinmates (up to 10 kids) the whole time, not interacting much with other groups, doing as much outside as possible, etc. Seems about as safe as a summer camp could be.

On the way home we always stop off at a hard cider taproom in a tiny town on the way. But it's closed now, just a few years after selling out to the Devos family. Fuckers. All their shit got auctioned off last month. Had I known about it maybe I would've bid on something... That full-size apple tree decoration would've looked cool in my basement!

But yeah, America is fucking depressing, isn't it? I can't believe all these assholes who refuse to wear masks. Yes, I can. 40% of the population is just dumb. So depressing. Normally the dumb behavior of these dumbasses doesn't affect my life in any perceivable way (I recognize my privilege), but this certainly does. The longer this drags on, the longer my life is inconvenienced. Not to mention the potential danger of me or people I care about getting sick. It sucks and it makes me mad.

On the plus side, I am on vacation starting Wednesday through the 12th. And I will be trying to stay off screens as much as possible.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Jake,

I feel the same about those people not wearing masks and how it may well set us back. However, as i have come to deal with it you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. We can't make everyone wear a mask. Some just won't. All we can do is us and hope that is enough.

It sucks, but it's better than stressing about what others aren't doing and how that affects us. I'm stressing about enough things already without adding one more thing. My anxiety can't take any more. I just have to give it up to the gods and hope for the best. Not much more I have the energy for.