Mony Mony - Help

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Wait - aren't we coming up on the 50th anniversary of the last time Billy Idol was relevant?

</snark>

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 am

Jake wrote:Vital Idol was huge in 1987 and Billy Idol's version of "Mony Mony" reached the top of the Billboard charts as a single. I'm guessing it started with Billy Idol.

I could've sworn I remembered hearing it in junior high (83,84?) in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but I've got a lousy memory. And I can't remember what we said before the "Get laid, get fucked" part...

I don't know if this has been addressed. I'm not going to read this whole thread.

Billy Idol lost his virginity while listening to this song, therefore he recorded it as his first cover, when he went solo. It was from 80 or 81. That's the studio version.

Years later a remix of his live version became his first (and only) #1 hit, it the late 80s.

Though I grew up in that era (and was a very big Generation X fan, and early Billy Idol solo) I have never heard of this tradition. Though I suspect it might reference his whole loosing his virginity thing, maybe?

EDIT: Incidentally, my mother was a big Tommy James & the Shondells fan, and I grew up listening to the original version, when I was a little kid.

Oh, and Tommy James wrote the original song about a random hot girl he saw walking down Broadway in New York, passing the Mony Building (he never met her, and didn't know who she was, hence didn't know her name, therefore he just called her "Mony"...)

My first apartment in Manhattan, my living room windows looked out on the Mony building, which had the time and temperature on the signage (years ago when I worked at TouchScreen Media, my boss would point out that it obviously did me no good -- I wore my leather jacket all winter that had no liner (but looked very good on me) and froze my ass off, and showed up everyday at 10:30.)

EDIT/EDIT:
Oh, and sometime recently, in just the last couple years, they removed the "MONY" sign from the top of the building (Mutual Of New York has apparently not be a resident there for some time).

Return to “Rants and Raves”